Current induced in loop - treat like a solenoid?

In summary, the problem involves a long straight wire carrying a constant current of 10A to the right and a circular loop of wire positioned 0.75m away from the wire. The magnetic field on the loop is coming out of the screen and is assumed to be uniform. The current in the loop is traveling counterclockwise and can be found by treating it like a solenoid and using the equations B = u i / 2pir and B = u i N. The magnitude of the current in the loop is approximately 2.71A.
yeahhyeahyeah

Homework Statement

A long straight wire lies below to a circuluar loop of wire. The straight wire is carrying a constant 10A current to the right. What is the magnitude and direction of the current in the circular loop, if its diameter is 1 m and its center is 0.75m away from the wire

Homework Equations

B = u i / 2pir

B = u i N for solenoid

The Attempt at a Solution

B = ui/2pir
since current in wire is traveling right and the loop is above the wire, the magnetic field on the loop is going to be coming out of the screen, I'm going to assume that the magnetic field is uniform, using the distance from the center as the radius, even though.. that is probably a bad assumption?

so the current will travel counterclockwise

can't figure out how to find the magnitude though! should i be treating it like a solenoid, and plug in the magnetic field to get a current?

Physics news on Phys.org
B = ui/2pir = (4pix10^-7)(10)/2pi(0.75)= 0.213 TB = uiN N = 4pix0.75/2pi = 0.47 turnsI = B/uN= (0.213 T)/(4pix10^-7 x 0.47 turns)= 2.71 A

I would approach this problem by first considering the basic principles of electromagnetism. The magnetic field created by a long straight wire is given by the equation B = u i / 2pir, where u is the permeability of the medium (in this case, air), i is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

In this case, we are interested in the magnetic field at the center of the circular loop, which is 0.75 m away from the wire. Plugging in the values, we get B = (4π x 10^-7 Tm/A) x 10 A / (2π x 0.75 m) = 5.33 x 10^-6 T.

Next, we can use the fact that the magnetic field at the center of a circular loop is given by B = u i N, where N is the number of turns in the loop. Since the current in the wire is creating a magnetic field of 5.33 x 10^-6 T at the center of the loop, we can set this equal to B = u i N and solve for N. We get N = B / (u i) = (5.33 x 10^-6 T) / (4π x 10^-7 Tm/A x 10 A) = 1.34 x 10^4 turns.

Therefore, the magnitude of the current induced in the circular loop is 1.34 x 10^4 A, and it will travel counterclockwise. This is significantly larger than the current in the straight wire, which makes sense since the circular loop has a larger area and therefore can generate a stronger magnetic field.

In conclusion, while we can use the equation for a solenoid to find the number of turns in the circular loop, we do not need to treat it as a solenoid in this case. Instead, we can use the basic principles of electromagnetism to solve the problem.

1. What is current induction in a loop and how does it work?

Current induction in a loop, also known as electromagnetic induction, is the process of inducing an electric current in a closed loop of wire by changing the magnetic field passing through the loop. This is done by either moving the loop through a magnetic field or changing the strength of the magnetic field passing through the loop. This phenomenon is explained by Faraday's law of induction and is the basis for many electrical devices such as generators and transformers.

2. How is current induction in a loop treated like a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that creates a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. Similarly, a loop of wire with an induced current also creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field can then interact with other magnetic fields to produce a wide range of effects, just like a solenoid.

3. What factors affect the strength of current induction in a loop?

The strength of the induced current in a loop depends on several factors, including the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the loop, and the speed at which the loop is moving through the magnetic field. Additionally, the material of the loop and the resistance of the wire can also affect the strength of the induced current.

4. Can current induction in a loop be used to generate electricity?

Yes, current induction in a loop is the basis for electric generators. By rotating a loop of wire in a magnetic field, an induced current is created, which can then be harnessed to power electrical devices. This is how most power plants generate electricity for our homes and businesses.

5. How is current induction in a loop different from a regular electric circuit?

In a regular electric circuit, the current flows through a closed loop of wire with a power source, such as a battery, providing a constant flow of electricity. In contrast, current induction in a loop does not require a power source and is instead created by the changing magnetic field passing through the loop. Additionally, a regular electric circuit can have multiple components, while induction in a loop occurs in a single component, the loop itself.