Capacitance of MOS cap in spice

In summary: So, in summary, the best way to obtain the CxV curve from a MOSCAP in SPICE is to use a transient analysis with a pulse input and calculate the capacitance by dividing the measured current by the voltage slope. AC analysis can also be used for more specific operating regions.
Lanot
Hi guys,

I'm trying to obtain the CxV curve from moscap in SPICE (hspice).
Note that I'm not talking about the sum of the capacitances from the mos transistor, but the transistor behaving as a capacitor.
Is there an easy way to do this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about a resistor connected to the moscap, Resistor driven by small AC voltage superimposed on DC, measure AC current through resistor while sweeping DC.

Do you mean a DC sweep like this?

Vin vin 0 AC 1 SIN (0 1 0.159)
R1 vin v2 1k
M1 0 v2 0 0 nmos l=1 w=10
.DC SWEEP vin -1 3 1m
.end

The current is zero though.

Put an AC source in series with the DC source. Then, the AC current will depend on the capacitance value.

Nothing changed.

Vin vin 0
Vac vin vr1 AC 1 SIN (0 1 0.159)

R1 vr1 v2 1k

.DC SWEEP vin -1 3 1m
.end

Why would there be zero AC current through a capacitor? Set the AC frequency to 100MHz. set the R to a higher value also. Replace the MOSCAP with a Capacitor. Play around with it a bit and figure it out.

Unfortunately, I couldn't replicate this experiment. I don't know what's the problem.
I was able to obtain an estimate of the MOS capacitance with a .op simulation (cgtot parameter), for low frequencies.
The only thing that is missing is the high frequency behavior of the moscap.

I don't see how .op provides any useful information.

Can you just replace the MOS with a capacitor and measure AC current. Then you know the sim is working.

I forgot to tell. I tested the circuit with a capacitor, and the current is zero.

Then you are doing something very wrong. If you can't see the AC current through a simple cap then you are looking in the wrong place. Can you see the AC voltage across the cap?

No, I can't. Isn't it because it's a DC sweep analysis?

The code is as follow:

Vin vin 0 DC 1
Vin vin 0
Vac vin vr1 AC 1 SIN (0 1 100MEG)

R1 vr1 v2 100k

.DC SWEEP vin -1 3 1m
.end

sorry
Do a .tran
Then,
Do a .TRAN with a piecewise linear DC source and constant AC source.
I don't use spice much. I'm surprised no one else pointed out the issue. I actually didn't know you can't measure AC during a DC sweep.

Sorry for the delay. Now I can see the transient response. But the curve doesn't seem right I guess.

The code is:
Vin vin 0 DC 0 pulse=(0 1.2 0 50n 0 0 0 0 51n)
Vac vin vr1 AC 0 SIN (0 10m 100MEG)
R1 vr1 v2 100k
.TRAN 1p 50n
.end

The response is as follows:
image.png

The easiest way to do this is with a transient analysis and a pulse so your input should be fine. Remember in the time domain that I = C dV/dT or C = I / (dV/dT). So divide the measured current with the voltage slope and that is your capacitance. You should do it with a rising and falling pulse and average the value you calculate.

AC analysis is also possible and may be more useful if you're using the MOSCAP as a decoupling device (so you mostly care about the capacitance around a small operating region.

What is the definition of capacitance of MOS cap in spice?

The capacitance of MOS cap in spice refers to the measure of the ability of a metal-oxide-semiconductor capacitor to store an electric charge when a voltage is applied.

How is the capacitance of MOS cap in spice calculated?

The capacitance of MOS cap in spice is calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the capacitor plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

What factors affect the capacitance of MOS cap in spice?

The capacitance of MOS cap in spice is affected by the permittivity of the dielectric material, the area of the capacitor plates, and the distance between the plates. It is also affected by the type of material used for the capacitor plates and the voltage applied.

Why is capacitance of MOS cap in spice important in circuit design?

The capacitance of MOS cap in spice is important in circuit design because it determines the speed and performance of the circuit. It also affects the overall capacitance of the circuit, which can impact the voltage and current levels. Proper consideration of the capacitance of MOS cap in spice is crucial for the proper functioning of the circuit.

How can the capacitance of MOS cap in spice be reduced?

The capacitance of MOS cap in spice can be reduced by decreasing the area of the capacitor plates, increasing the distance between the plates, or using a material with a lower permittivity. Additionally, using a lower voltage can also reduce the capacitance. These measures can help in reducing the overall capacitance and improving the performance of the circuit.