University level books on Optics and thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's search for advanced books on optics and thermodynamics. They mention coming across a book on optics by Jenkins & White, but it did not meet their needs. They also mention struggling with a book on thermodynamics by Zemansky and Hall and are looking for a recommendation for a more understandable advanced book. The speaker also suggests checking out Principles of Optics by Max Born and Emil Wolf, and mentions other potential options for optics and thermodynamics books.
Amith2006
I am into the final year of undergraduation. I am looking for an advanced book on Optics which deals with mathematical approach to polarisation. Today I went to a book shop where I came across a book on 'Fundamentals of optics' by Jenkins & White. Though it covered most of the topics but didn't contain what I wanted. Can somebody please suggest such a book which is available in the market? I am also looking for an advanced book on Thermodynamics for undergraduates. I came across a book on Principles of Thermodynamics by Zemansky and Hall. I found it hard to understand. Can u please suggest a book which is advanced at the same time bit easy to understand?

Physics news on Phys.org
The classic text on optics would have to be, I'd think, Principles of Optics by Max Born and Emil Wolf. I'd consider it my stand-by text.

Born and Wolf is an advanced text, it has polarization but without a lot of mathematical preparation difficult to read. I found a bunch of texts doing a search on Barnes & Noble using the keywords "polarization optics" (my quotes). I have looked at a couple of these in the past in my work and can't tell you which is better than any other.

As for thermodynamics, I'd start with Reif in the Berkley series as a start, then go on to Zemansky or Reif in the McGraw-Hill series.

Does anyone have a second opinion?

Amith2006 said:
Though it covered most of the topics but didn't contain what I wanted.

What is it that you are looking for?

1. What are the main topics covered in university level books on Optics and Thermodynamics?

University level books on Optics and Thermodynamics cover a wide range of topics including geometric optics, physical optics, thermodynamic laws, thermodynamic processes, heat engines, and thermodynamic equilibrium.

2. Are there any recommended textbooks for studying Optics and Thermodynamics at the university level?

Yes, there are several highly recommended textbooks for studying Optics and Thermodynamics at the university level. Some popular choices include "Introduction to Optics" by Frank L. Pedrotti, "Thermal Physics" by Charles Kittel and Herbert Kroemer, and "Fundamentals of Thermodynamics" by Claus Borgnakke and Richard E. Sonntag.

3. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials available for these textbooks?

Most university level books on Optics and Thermodynamics have accompanying online resources and supplementary materials such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and lecture notes. These can often be found on the publisher's website or through the textbook's author.

4. How difficult is it to self-study Optics and Thermodynamics at the university level?

Self-studying Optics and Thermodynamics at the university level can be challenging, as these subjects require a solid understanding of calculus and physics. However, with dedication and the use of supplementary resources, it is possible to successfully self-study these topics.

5. What career opportunities are available for individuals with a background in Optics and Thermodynamics?

Individuals with a strong understanding of Optics and Thermodynamics can pursue careers in many fields, including engineering, research and development, and academia. Specifically, careers in areas such as optics, thermodynamics, energy, and materials science are common for those with a background in these subjects.