Windows graphing calculator software

In summary: There is a live demo you can try there.In summary, there are several software options for graphing complex functions on a computer screen, including Mathematica, Maxima, and gnuplot. There are also websites such as GraphCalc and WebGraphing that offer online graphing of complex functions. For rotating 3D graphics, options include emulator software and LiveGraphics3D. Additionally, the book "Complex Analysis with Mathematica" offers various methods for graphing complex functions.
springo
Hi,
I was looking for some Windows software that did the job a graphing calculator does, but on the computer screen. I've been using the calculator that comes with Microsoft Student, but it lacks some features that would be quite useful (specially when it comes to complex functions).
Which software should I use?
Thank you very much.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you want ONLY a graphing software, then use gnuplot. Maxima, which uses gnuplot for graphing, is a full-fledged (at least among oss/freeware) CAS.

Aren't there any 'easier' ones? I mean, not requiring you to code your queries.

I used this a couple of years ago...you've got to just enter equations, although I 'm not sure if it handled complex functions.
http://www.graphcalc.com/

Online Graphing of Complex Functions

The website www.webgraphing.com plots complex functions with calculus analysis. Also, it is pretty easy to use.:smile: :smile:

I wasn't able to plot complex functions in GraphCalc or WebGraphing, but I'm giving Mathematica a try.
However, I'm not able to rotate 3D graphics yet. How can I do it?
Thanks.

Give an example of a complex function!

It would be helpful if you gave an example of what you call a complex function. The term can be used is a variety of ways, so how you use it is important. For example, if you mean a complex-valued function of a real variable, then there are no graphing calculators that will graph it; you will need to create your own programs. On the other hand, if you mean, say, a :uhh: real-valued trig functions of a real variable, just about any graphing calculator will do, including the ones you tried and did not get what you wanted.

If you mean 3D graphing, there are many graphing calculators that will do the job. It all depends...

springo said:
I wasn't able to plot complex functions in GraphCalc or WebGraphing, but I'm giving Mathematica a try.
However, I'm not able to rotate 3D graphics yet. How can I do it?
Thanks.

You're finding it easier to enter codes in Mathematica than in Maxima! :confused:

calcwiz said:
It would be helpful if you gave an example of what you call a complex function.
I meant something like:
[tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{z}[/tex]
(with z being any number from the complex plane)

neutrino said:
You're finding it easier to enter codes in Mathematica than in Maxima!
I didn't mean to say that. I didn't try Maxima, I just tried the website and GraphCalc. As I couldn't see how to use them for my puroposes, I decided to try using Mathematica. So, you mean Maxima is easier than Mathematica (but has the same functionality)?

chroot said:
You might also want to look into emulator software
I don't a TI, but a Casio. I'll look for my "virtual" one.

Thank you all for your answers!

Complex-valued functions of a complex variable

So, you want to graph complex-valued functions of a complex variable. That involves a domain of two dimensions (x+iy) and a range of two dimensions (u+iv) . This is not for the faint of heart!

Complex Analysis with Mathematica

If you are serious, you might check out the book "Complex Analysis with Mathematica" by William T. Shaw, copyright 2006, Cambridge University Press. There you will find various ways to plot complex valued functions of a complex variable.

calcwiz said:
If you are serious, you might check out the book "Complex Analysis with Mathematica" by William T. Shaw, copyright 2006, Cambridge University Press. There you will find various ways to plot complex valued functions of a complex variable.
Thanks, I'll check that book as soon as I can.

Since we're talking about Mathematica, please let me ask again: how can I rotate a 3Dm graph?
Thank you.

The quickest way is to use any of several Interactive 3D Graphing Calculators on WebGraphing.com. You can check out some examples of 3D :cool: function graphs at:

http://www.webgraphing.com/examples_graph3d.jsp [Broken]

and follow the instructions to rotate, zoom in/out, spin, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I had tried that before and it's great.
However I'd still like to know if it's possible to do the same in Mathematica.

1. What is a Windows graphing calculator software?

A Windows graphing calculator software is a computer program designed to perform mathematical calculations and plot graphs on a computer. It is similar to a physical graphing calculator but has the added advantage of being able to save and share graphs and calculations.

2. How does a Windows graphing calculator software work?

A Windows graphing calculator software uses mathematical algorithms and equations to perform calculations and plot graphs. It takes input from the user and displays the results on the screen. It also has the ability to store and recall previous calculations and graphs.

3. What are the benefits of using a Windows graphing calculator software?

Using a Windows graphing calculator software can save time and effort when performing complex mathematical calculations. It also allows for more accurate and precise results compared to manual calculations. Additionally, the software can store and organize multiple calculations and graphs for future reference.

4. Can a Windows graphing calculator software be used for educational purposes?

Yes, a Windows graphing calculator software can be used for educational purposes. It is commonly used in mathematics, science, and engineering courses to aid in understanding and solving complex problems. It can also be used to create visual representations of mathematical concepts, making it a valuable learning tool.

5. Is a Windows graphing calculator software easy to use?

Yes, most Windows graphing calculator software have user-friendly interfaces that make them easy to use. They also come with helpful features such as tutorials and online support to assist users in learning and navigating the software. With some practice, anyone can become proficient in using a Windows graphing calculator software.