What caused inflation in the big bang theory?

In summary, inflation in the big bang theory is postulated to have been caused by a field with positive and constant energy density, but exerting a negative pressure. This is a characteristic of scalar fields, which can produce gravitational repulsion in the weak field limit of general relativity. This phenomenon is also seen in the current expansion of the universe, which is thought to be driven by a cosmological constant or vacuum energy. During inflation, the scalar field was the dominant component of the universe, leading to exponential expansion. However, as the universe grew, the energy of the scalar field was transferred to other matter fields, ending the period of inflation. Despite being a speculation, inflation provides an explanation for many phenomena and is currently difficult to replace with
Royce
I've read a few things that seem pure speculation designed to give a cause for something thought to necessarily have happened such as an antigravity force that faded at the end of the inflationary period. It seems too contrived to me.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Habitually, inflation was explained being caused by a scalar field, the inflaton, that was the field that caused the acceleration. Then some theories proposed the existence of not one, but two scalar fields driving inflation (hybrid inflation and supernatural inflation are conspicuous examples). The last fad in cosmology is Loop Quantum Cosmology. In LQC there's inflation, but it's not caused by the inflaton or other scalar field, but is caused by quantum properties of the gravitational field itself

Last edited:
Inflation is postulated to have been produced by a field with positive (and constant) energy density, but exterting a negative pressure. This is a characteristic of so called scalar fields.

In general relativity gravity couples not only to density but also to pressure, thus an antigravitational effect may take place if the pressure is acting against density.

This phenomenon is also assumed to take place now: some observations indicate that the expansion of space accelerates. If gravity due to energy density were the only acting force, then the expansion should decelerate. The accelerated expansion today is postulated to be produced by a cosmological constant (a vacuum energy density) which is a kind of scalar field.

The difference between now and inflation is, that the universe contains now other components (like matter) than a scalar field. During inflation, the scalar field was widely the dominant component. In such a case the expansion becomes exponential (the solution to the Friedmann equations is scalled deSitter model).

Note that due to the expansion of space and volume growth, the scalar field got more and more energy (since its energy density remains always constant). Inflation terminated when a part of the energy accumulated in the scalar field was transferred to the matter fields creating matter. This process is known as reheating.

Then, the expansion became driven not only by the scalar field but also by other fields. The strong antrigravitational effect faded and the expansion ceased to be exponential.

Inflation is of course a speculation, but it explains a lot of things and AFAIK it is difficult today to figure out a mechanism which could replace it.

(…I hope I did not write anything incorrect).

Regards.

The universal government payed its energy density debt by printing more space-time currency. That always causes inflation.

;)

Njorl

Royce said:
I've read a few things that seem pure speculation designed to give a cause for something thought to necessarily have happened such as an antigravity force that faded at the end of the inflationary period. It seems too contrived to me.

Basically inflation is antigravity in the sense that there is a gravitational repulsion. There are several ways for such a repulsion to occur. One is a non-zero cosmological constant. The other is vacuum energy and the third is as explained above, i.e. negative presssure. To see how pressure can act as a source in GR consider the weak field limit for a relativistic fluid which mass density [tex]\rho[/tex] and pressure p. Then

[tex]\nabla^2\Phi = 4\pi\G(\rho + 3p/c^2)[/tex]

The necessary (but not sufficient) condition for a period of inflation is

[tex] \rho_{active} = \rho + 3p/c^2 < 0[/tex]

which produces gravitational replusion since the right hand side of the first equation acts like a negative mass density. The term [tex] \rho_{active}[/tex] is the active gravitational mass density.

A similar thing happens with a positive cosmological constant.

Note: Regarding the inflaton - As I understand it, it is the vacuum energy of the scalar field which drives inflation and not the scalar field itself.

To see this from the man himself, i.e. Alan Guth, the creator of the infation theory, see

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-224Exploring-Black-Holes--General-Relativity---AstrophysicsSpring2003/LectureNotes/index.htm [Broken]

Go down to Guth's lecture and click on the material to the right which you'd like to see.

He also discussed the possibility of creating a universe in the laboratory. [:-)]

Last edited by a moderator:
pmb_phy said:
To see how pressure can act as a source in GR consider the weak field limit for a relativistic fluid with mass density [tex]\rho[/tex] and pressure p. Then

[tex]\nabla^2\Phi = 4\pi\G(\rho + 3p/c^2)[/tex]

The necessary (but not sufficient) condition for a period of inflation is

[tex] \rho_{active} = \rho + 3p/c^2 < 0[/tex]

which produces gravitational replusion since the right hand side of the first equation acts like a negative mass density. The term [tex] \rho_{active}[/tex] is the active gravitational mass density.
And if you continue and cancel out [tex] \rho[/tex], then this only says that the speed of light must be less than the square root of negative 3. What?

Njorl said:
The universal government payed its energy density debt by printing more space-time currency. That always causes inflation.

;)

Njorl

This, at least, I, as a non-scientist, can understand . Thanks to all of you. I wish I could say that I now understand it better but negative pressure, antigravity and scalar fields are hard for me to visualize and grasp. However, reading it again in different words has made it a bit easier to accept. Thanks again.

Mike2 said:
And if you continue and cancel out [tex] \rho[/tex], then this only says that the speed of light must be less than the square root of negative 3. What?

That just means that you can't cancel out [tex] \rho[/tex]. [tex] \rho[/tex] is mass density and mass density can never be zero if there is pressure.

When you make an assumption which leads to something which is not physically meaningfull then that assumption is invalid

Mike2 said:

I think I see the source of the confusion.
The symbol p (for pressure) looks like the symbol rho (for mass density)
if they were the same then you could divide out, or cancel out as you say.
and get a nonsense inequality about the speed of light

but rho and p are different so you can't do that cancelation
in fact they even have different units (unless you are working in a
system of units where c is dimensionless----like a system with c = 1)

to understand better, substitute A and B for rho and p
so the two look good and different

[tex] \rho + 3p/c^2 < 0[/tex]

[tex] A + 3B/c^2 < 0[/tex]

If they were the same, with A identical to B,
then
[tex] A + 3A/c^2 < 0[/tex]
and you could divide out, assuming A non-zero,
[tex] 1 + 3/c^2 < 0[/tex]
and then
[tex] c^2 + 3 < 0[/tex]
and then, as you say,
[tex] c^2 < -3[/tex]

Last edited:
marcus said:
I think I see the source of the confusion.
The symbol p (for pressure) looks like the symbol rho (for mass density)
if they were the same then you could divide out, or cancel out as you say.
and get a nonsense inequality about the speed of light
Oops! My mistake, sorry.

marcus said:
If they were the same, with A identical to B,
then
[tex] A + 3A/c^2 < 0[/tex]
and you could divide out, assuming A non-zero,
[tex] 1 + 3/c^2 < 0[/tex]
and then
[tex] c^2 + 3 < 0[/tex]
and then, as you say,
[tex] c^2 < -3[/tex]

Ah! Thanks marcus. Yes. That does seem to be the case. Thanks.

hellfire said:
Inflation terminated when a part of the energy accumulated in the scalar field was transferred to the matter fields creating matter.
So are you saying that inflation stopped when mass was produced,... Like mass acted as an anchor to slow the expansion?

Couple quick questions? How fast was the inflation,... faster than light, at the speed of light?

Are you saying that there was no mass until inflation stopped, or slowed?

Thanks.

Mike2, I have to admit that my understanding of the subject is not deep (the math is heavy for me), but, anyway, may be I can try to answer your questions.

Before inflation there may be densities associated to other fields than the scalar field. This densities will drastically decrease and are negligible at the end of inflation (and before reheating) compared to the density of the scalar field (which has constant energy density).

The end of inflation is determined only by the behaviour of the scalar field. As already mentioned here, there is a false vacuum state during inflation (a state with more energy than the ground state) which decays in finite time. The phase of decay is known as 'slow roll' . During this phase the kinetic energy of the scalar field is negligible against the potential energy. This potential energy generates the exponential expansion.

After this phase the kinetic energy becomes relevant, the scalar field oscilates and transfers energy to the matter fields. This is the reheating process. How this transfer takes place is a question I cannot answer. I believe this is a heavy one (particle physics stuff involved).

The speed of inflation depends on the potential energy of the scalar field. The Hubble parameter H has a constant value during inflation and depends on the potential. The scale factor scales as a ~ exp(H t). One can find points in space receding at superluminal speeds. But note that this is not a specific feature of inflation, since superluminal recession takes also place today (and AFAIK in every cosmological model with a Hubble law).

Regards.

I look at inflation like this...

The inflaton field was the dominant field in the early universe. This field is normally in a low energy, ground state. But because of a random fluctuation, the energy spiked to the peak of its potential energy. This blew the fabric of spacetime outward at alarming speeds (many times faster than the speed of light.) Some may ask whether this violates relativity but it does not because it is accelerating space itself not traveling through space. the energy then slid back down to its ground state leaving the by product, matter. The matter that is now in the universe then slowed the expansion to a reasonable rate.

Matrixman13 said:

The inflaton field was the dominant field in the early universe. This field is normally in a low energy, ground state. But because of a random fluctuation, the energy spiked to the peak of its potential energy. This blew the fabric of spacetime outward at alarming speeds (many times faster than the speed of light.) Some may ask whether this violates relativity but it does not because it is accelerating space itself not traveling through space. the energy then slid back down to its ground state leaving the by product, matter. The matter that is now in the universe then slowed the expansion to a reasonable rate.
What does matter have to do with space? Is matter a form of space, an contraction of space that resists expansion?

Thanks.

pmb_phy said:
Basically inflation is antigravity in the sense that there is a gravitational repulsion. There are several ways for such a repulsion to occur. One is a non-zero cosmological constant. The other is vacuum energy and the third is as explained above, i.e. negative presssure. To see how pressure can act as a source in GR consider the weak field limit for a relativistic fluid which mass density [tex]\rho[/tex] and pressure p.QUOTE]

You have suggested that there are 3 ways for repulsion;
non-zero cosmological constant
vacuum energy
negative pressure

However, I don't think these are all separate things as you have suggested.
Negative pressure is the result of a large vacuum energy in the universe. A large vacuum energy has several possible sources. Perhaps the leading contender is the cosmological constant to explain it.

Last edited:
Matrixman13 said:

In fact very distant galaxies are receding from us at speeds greater than the speed of light today!

A few misconceptions...

'Slow roll' is not necessary for inflation, it is however if there was only one round of inflation (but not two), it is an approximation in the differential eqns.

The original inflation model was taken to be the form of the Higgs particle (also minimally a scalar field), unfortunately it does not work. There is no way to end inflation with that model.

Nowdays, a veritable industry has gone into postulating the shape of the inflaton potential. There are literally hundreds of ways inflation can take place, none of them have much to do with particle physics as it currently stands.

As has been said before, generically its a way to cause exponential expansion of space-time, in order to smooth out any inhomogenities of matter fields, such that it ends up looking like what we see today.

The problem is always the same. Only the last few efolds carry observational consequence, so its very hard to falsify the hundreds of inflation models (only one of course can be correct). Only extremely sensitive probes of the CMB and galaxy structure can reveal differences, which is going to be a huge enterprise of Astronomy for the next 20 or so years.

1. What is inflation in the big bang theory?

Inflation in the big bang theory refers to a period of rapid expansion in the early universe, occurring shortly after the initial "big bang" event. This rapid expansion is thought to have lasted for a fraction of a second and is believed to have played a crucial role in the formation of the universe as we know it.

2. What caused inflation in the big bang theory?

The exact cause of inflation in the big bang theory is still a topic of debate among scientists. However, the most widely accepted explanation is that it was caused by a hypothetical field called the inflaton field, which was responsible for the rapid expansion of the early universe.

3. How does inflation in the big bang theory explain the smoothness of the universe?

Inflation in the big bang theory is believed to have caused the universe to expand exponentially, smoothing out any irregularities in the density of matter. This is known as the "flatness problem" and is one of the main puzzles that inflation aims to solve.

4. Can inflation in the big bang theory be proven?

While there is a significant amount of evidence supporting the idea of inflation in the big bang theory, it is still considered a theory and cannot be definitively proven. Scientists continue to search for more evidence and test different models of inflation to better understand this phenomenon.

5. Is inflation in the big bang theory still happening?

No, inflation in the big bang theory is thought to have ended a fraction of a second after the initial big bang event. However, the effects of inflation can still be seen in the universe today, such as the uniformity of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the large-scale structure of the universe.