Advice for great books on physics Please

In summary, the conversation is about book recommendations for various physics topics, including waves, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, optics, and Newtonian mechanics. The OP has some background in mathematics and physics and is looking for more in-depth books than the average calculus-based physics textbook. Some suggestions are given, such as "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica" by Isaac Newton for Newtonian mechanics and "Vibrations and Waves" by A.P. French for waves. Other recommendations include "The Feynman Lectures" and "Newton's Principia for the Common Reader" by S. Chandrasekhar.
MannyP2011
I would like a recommendation for a book that is specifically focused on waves. If anyone could recommend me one I would really appreciate it .

Also if you know of any Great books on specifically Electricity && Magnetism, Thermodynamics, Optics, and Newtonian Mechanics...

**I already have a Calculus-Based Physics book that covers the subjects, but I'd like to believe that 4 chapters for Waves, Thermodynamics, or Optics does not give those topics justice...**

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you provide zero helpful information such as your level of mathematical ability, level of understanding of "the basics", previous coursework, etc. it's hard to give you a good answer. Therefore, I'll suggest "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica" by Isaac Newton. It's in Latin, and one of the best around for Newtonian Mechanics.

Um, no. I doubt you would find Principia very interesting or helpful. All the proofs are heavily geometric, and the subject was not nearly as clear as it is today; physics education has changed a great deal since Newton's time. Perhaps you could leave Principia as side-reading in your own time if you are interested.
And the OP did say he has taken a calculus-based physics course.

For Newtonian Mechanics there is https://www.amazon.com/dp/189138922X/?tag=pfamazon01-20
For E&M the most popular book is https://www.amazon.com/dp/013805326X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You will need to know vector calculus and ODEs at least.

Can't help you with the other topics I'm afraid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive finished Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, I am also learning about complex variables and Partial Differential Equations independently while I'm waiting to transfer for my Junior Year .

I just want some books more indepth than the average Calculus-Based General Physics book... Thanks and If you or anyone else has any other suggestions I'm open to them...

MannyP2011 said:
Ive finished Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, I am also learning about complex variables and Partial Differential Equations independently while I'm waiting to transfer for my Junior Year .

I just want some books more indepth than the average Calculus-Based General Physics book... Thanks and If you or anyone else has any other suggestions I'm open to them...

The Feynman Lectures are an obvious recommendation.

qspeechc said:
Um, no. I doubt you would find Principia very interesting or helpful. All the proofs are heavily geometric, and the subject was not nearly as clear as it is today; physics education has changed a great deal since Newton's time. Perhaps you could leave Principia as side-reading in your own time if you are interested.

There's another version of the Principia written the Nobel Laureate S.Chandrasekhar
"Newton's Principia for the Common Reader" . It might be fun to learn...

1. What are some recommended books for learning physics?

Some great books for learning physics include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths.

2. Are there any books for beginners in physics?

Yes, there are many books that cater to beginners in physics. Some popular choices include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker, and "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick and Art Huffman.

3. Are there any books that cover advanced topics in physics?

Yes, there are numerous books that cover advanced topics in physics. Some notable ones include "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "The Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose.

4. Are there any books on physics that are easy to understand?

Yes, there are many books on physics that are written in a clear and accessible manner. Some examples include "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, "Why Does E=mc2?" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw, and "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" by Carlo Rovelli.

5. Are there any books on physics that focus on specific topics?

There are many books that focus on specific topics in physics, such as "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne which delves into the concept of black holes, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene which explores string theory, and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene which discusses the nature of space and time.