Mysteries in Classical Physics

In summary: I'm not sure what you're asking. Classical physics is the kind of physics used by engineers?No, I don't think so. Classical physics is the kind of physics used by physicists.
absurdist
Are there any mysteries yet unexplained in Classical Physics, Thermodynamics or Statistical Mechanics? Or do all the mysteries in physics come out of Modern Physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the principles of classical physics are finalized, so there are no mysteries as to principle, unlike, say, elementary particle physics where the principles are not yet completely established, which yields "mysteries". However, just because classical physics is "known" does not mean that every classical problem is easily solved, and so there are mysteries as to what classical physics has yet to predict. I would think this is mostly in statistical methods applied to classical physics. Chaos theory is one that comes to mind, like explaining the rings of Saturn. Severely non-equilibrium statistical mechanics of classical particles, maybe. Fluid turbulence is another.

What's unsolved about fluid turbulence?

If anything, I guess one could ask why our formalism works so well. Why does the Lagrangian formalism work so well and what is the meaning of the Action?

That probably crosses into philosophy, though, because even if you were to answer those questions, there would be another level that you could ask "why?" about.

absurdist said:
What's unsolved about fluid turbulence?

From a theoretical point of view, very first issue is: No one has been able to prove from first principles (Navier-Stokes equation) what will the spectrum of average kinetic energy (cf. Kolmogorov spectrum in turbulence).

Are there any mysteries yet unexplained in Classical Physics,

millions.

Please
Define 'mystery'...
Define 'classical physics':

What "classical physics" refers to depends on the context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_physics

Anyway, without quantum mechanics, we'd have no standard model of particle physics...and
would be hard pressed to understand light.

The three body problem?

Naty1 said:
millions.

Please
Define 'mystery'...
Define 'classical physics':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_physics

Anyway, without quantum mechanics, we'd have no standard model of particle physics...and
would be hard pressed to understand light.

Sry for the late reply,
By mystery, I mean some kind of discrepancy between two widely accepted theories or some kind of lack of knowledge of the some mechanism?
By Classical Mechanics I mean Mechanics, Heat and Themodynamics and not QM, Nuclear phy and modern physics (string theory, etc)
Is there anything yet to be discovered in the kind of physics often used by engineers?

What is classical physics?

Classical physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a macroscopic scale, which includes objects that can be seen with the naked eye. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

What are some examples of mysteries in classical physics?

Some examples of mysteries in classical physics include the nature of dark matter and dark energy, the behavior of particles at the quantum level, and the mystery of why time only seems to move forward.

Why are these mysteries important to study?

Studying these mysteries in classical physics can help us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and potentially lead to groundbreaking discoveries in science and technology. It also challenges our current understanding and pushes the boundaries of what is possible.

What tools and methods are used to study these mysteries?

Scientists use a variety of tools and methods to study mysteries in classical physics, including mathematical models, experiments, and advanced technologies such as particle accelerators and telescopes. They also collaborate with other fields of science, such as astronomy and quantum mechanics, to gain a more comprehensive understanding.

Will we ever solve these mysteries?

It is difficult to predict if we will ever solve all the mysteries in classical physics. Some may remain unsolved for a long time, while others may be solved in the near future. However, the pursuit of knowledge and understanding is a continuous process, and new discoveries are constantly being made, bringing us closer to solving these mysteries.