Why does a battery die when connected on prallel?

• Thread starter polaris90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, during a lab involving circuits, a 9V battery was connected in parallel with a 2.kΏ resistor and a multimeter. The current was measured and initially went very high (around 30mA) before gradually decreasing. The battery ultimately became hot and unusable, most likely due to a short circuit caused by connecting the multimeter incorrectly. The current reading of 30mA was most likely incorrect and could have been as high as 300mA. It is also possible that a separate socket for an unfused 10A range on the multimeter was used, leading to a misreading of the current.
polaris90
During one of my labs we were using circuits. I connected a 9V battery in parallel with a 2.kΏ resistor and a multimeter. I meaured the current across the circuit and noticed it went really high at the beginning (about 30mA) and then it slowly went down and the battery became really hot and unusable. Why did that happened? I've been trying to find why the battery would get hot and stop working. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because you created a short across the battery terminals.

It would be like connecting a light bulb to the battery. Depending on the wattage of teh resistor, it may have gotten hot as well.

polaris90 said:
During one of my labs we were using circuits. I connected a 9V battery in parallel with a 2.kΏ resistor and a multimeter. I meaured the current across the circuit and noticed it went really high at the beginning (about 30mA) and then it slowly went down and the battery became really hot and unusable. Why did that happened? I've been trying to find why the battery would get hot and stop working. Any help?

The battery is obviously shorted.

What two devices were in parallel exactly? The resistor and the multimeter (as an ammeter)? What setting was the multimeter on?

polaris90 said:

It sounds like you had a short circuit.
9 volts / 2000 ohms = 4.5 ma
This would occur if you connected your multimeter in parallel with your resistor while in the amps mode. It should be placed in series with the resistor when measuring current.

OmCheeto said:
This would occur if you connected your multimeter in parallel with your resistor while in the amps mode.
Yeah. That's where I was going too.

he did say ""I meaured the current across the circuit .."" and got 30 ma, presumably not through 2K..

Polaris, go to "Electrical Engineering and read this thread :

"" why must ammeter be connected in series?""

Last edited:
polaris90 said:
During one of my labs we were using circuits. I connected a 9V battery in parallel with a 2.kΏ resistor and a multimeter. I meaured the current across the circuit and noticed it went really high at the beginning (about 30mA)
The current was much higher than 30mA. You were not reading the right scale. I surmise that you were not using a digital meter? 300mA possibly.

NascentOxygen said:
The current was much higher than 30mA. You were not reading the right scale. I surmise that you were not using a digital meter? 300mA possibly.

no, as Jim hinted at, I bet he was trying to read the current in parallel across the cct instead of in series and the poor meter was shortcircuiting the battery

Dave

davenn said:
no, as Jim hinted at, I bet he was trying to read the current in parallel across the cct instead of in series and the poor meter was shortcircuiting the battery

Dave

I think the current would have to be much higher than 30 ma with a short circuit. That would mean the internal resistance is 330 ohm, and only 0.27 Watt of power would be produced in the battery.

davenn said:
no
yes

I bet he was trying to read the current in parallel across the cct instead of in series and the poor meter was shortcircuiting the battery
That premise was fundamental to my reply. That the meter was shorting the meter is not in question, a 9v battery is not going to get hot powering either a 330Ω load, or delivering 30mA.

Not only was the meter incorrectly connected to the resistor, but OP has not interpreted the meter reading correctly, regardless of whether it was digital or analog. That 30mA was not 30mA, maybe it was 300mA.

I suggested analog, simply because I find it difficult to see how a digital reading could be misread too low by a factor of 10. Maybe there was a blob of solder on the readout and this was mistaken for a decimal point?

Last edited:
here's short circuit tests on the common 9 volt 1604 "transistor radio battery" . Looks like they are capable of ~ 4 amps, briefly.

friedrichengineering.com/web_documents/9volt%20Battery.pdf

Quite a few (cheap) digital multimeters have a separate socket for an unfused 10A range. You have to plug and switch range, so a misreading of a factor 10 (or even 100) is definitely possible.

1. Why does a battery die faster when connected in parallel?

When batteries are connected in parallel, they share the load of powering a device. This means that the total current drawn from the batteries is divided between them. Therefore, each battery has to supply less current than it would if it were powering the device alone. This increased workload can cause a battery to drain faster and die sooner.

2. Can connecting batteries in parallel damage them?

Connecting batteries in parallel can potentially damage them if they are not of the same type, age, or capacity. When batteries are connected in parallel, they should have similar characteristics to prevent one battery from supplying more current than the other, which can cause an imbalance and lead to damage.

3. Why does a battery die when connected in parallel with a fully charged battery?

When a battery is connected in parallel with a fully charged battery, it will attempt to charge the other battery and bring it to the same voltage level. This can cause the battery to drain quickly and die because it is constantly trying to balance its charge with the other battery.

4. How does connecting batteries in parallel affect their overall lifespan?

Connecting batteries in parallel can potentially shorten their overall lifespan if they are not of the same type, age, or capacity. As mentioned before, an imbalance in current between the batteries can lead to damage and decrease their lifespan. However, if the batteries are well-matched, connecting them in parallel can actually extend their lifespan by reducing the workload on each individual battery.

5. Is it better to connect batteries in parallel or in series?

It depends on the specific application and the characteristics of the batteries being used. Connecting batteries in parallel is typically used to increase the overall capacity and runtime, while connecting them in series is used to increase the voltage. However, both methods have their advantages and disadvantages, and it is important to consider the specific needs and limitations of the device being powered before deciding which method to use.