Electric field of a line charge with the divergence theorem

In summary, on page 63 of David J. Griffiths' "Introduction to Electrodynamics", the electric field at a point z above a finite line charge with length L is calculated using the electric field in integral form. However, there are difficulties in reproducing this result using the corresponding Maxwell equation in differential form and the divergence theorem. The problem lies in the lack of cylindrical symmetry in the system, as the electric field in the system will not be cylindrically symmetric. This is evident when observing the shape of the field when z>>L.
dipole knight
Hi,

on page 63 of David J. Griffiths' "Introduction to Electrodynamics" he calculates the electric field at a point z above a line charge (with a finite length L) using the electric field in integral form.
[itex]E_z = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int_{0}^{L} \frac{2 \lambda z}{\sqrt{(z^2 + x^2)^3}} dx = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{2 \lambda L}{z \sqrt{z^2 + L^2}}[/itex]
whereas [itex] \lambda = \frac{Q}{L}[/itex]
Basically it's a two-dimensional system with a horizontal x-axis and a vertical z-axis, the charges go from -L to L on the x-axis and we look at the electric field a distance z above the line (i.e. on the z-axis).

That's all fine and dandy but I have some serious troubles trying to reproduce that same result with the corresponding Maxwell equation in differential form and the divergence theorem.
This is what I got so far:

[itex]
\vec{\nabla} \vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0} \\
\int \vec{\nabla} \vec{E} dV = \int \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0} dV \\
\int \vec{E} d\vec{A} = \int \frac{\lambda}{\epsilon_0} dl \\
[/itex]
whereas I used [itex] \rho dV \propto \lambda dl [/itex]

For the left side I use cylindrical coordinates and get:
[itex]
\vec{E} \hat{x} = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0 x z} \int {\lambda} dl
[/itex].

Since λ is constant I can pull it out of the integral and when I integrate I get as a final result:
[itex]\vec{E} \hat{x} = \frac{2 \lambda L}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 x z}[/itex]

Now this is a completely different result than what I get when I use the formula for the electric field in the integral form. One of the problems that this happens is that the integral form actually has the vector difference between the position of the charge and the point at which you want to calculate the electric field, i.e. [itex] \int \lambda \frac{\vec{r}-\vec{r'}}{\| \vec{r} - \vec{r'}\|^3} dl [/itex] whereas this is not the case in the Maxwell equation.

What am I doing wrong? Why cannot I reproduce the same result?

Physics news on Phys.org
dipole knight said:
For the left side I use cylindrical coordinates and get:
[itex]
\vec{E} \hat{x} = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0 x z} \int {\lambda} dl
[/itex].
How? Your system has no symmetry which could be used in the integral.

mfb said:
How? Your system has no symmetry which could be used in the integral.

I am not sure I understand what you mean.

Though I think I have made a mistake.
I wanted to integrate using the surface area for cylindrical coordinates, i.e.:
[itex] \int \vec{E} \; d\vec{A} = \int \vec{E} \; \hat{r} \; dr \; d\phi \; dx = \vec{E} \; \vec{r} \; ln(r) \; 2 \pi \cdot 2 L [/itex]

whereas r is the radius of the Gaussian cylinder I have put around the line charge.
Although I just realized that this is actually the integral for the volume of a cylinder. I am not really sure how to integrate over the surface but I don't think that will solve the problem.

I still don't understand why it's not possible to use the divergence theorem to solve this problem. :/

It's not that you can't use the divergence theorem, as it holds no matter the case. You cannot use cylindrical symmetry to simplify the system because the E field in the system will not be cylindrically symmetric. To prove this to yourself, take the shape of the field when z>>L.

dipole knight said:
I wanted to integrate using the surface area for cylindrical coordinates, i.e.:
[itex] \int \vec{E} \; d\vec{A} = \int \vec{E} \; \hat{r} \; dr \; d\phi \; dx = \vec{E} \; \vec{r} \; ln(r) \; 2 \pi \cdot 2 L [/itex]

whereas r is the radius of the Gaussian cylinder I have put around the line charge.
Although I just realized that this is actually the integral for the volume of a cylinder. I am not really sure how to integrate over the surface but I don't think that will solve the problem.

Even as a volume integral, this is incorrect, as [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] is a unit vector, and I don't know where you are getting the ln(r) from. The area element [itex]d\vec{A} = \vec{r} \; d\phi dx [/itex] is proportional to and in the direction of [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]. To get the surface area, the area element is integrated at constant radius r=R. However, [itex]\vec{E} \cdot \hat{r}[/itex] would be a function of r and x, so it cannot be pulled out of the surface integral.

Jasso said:
It's not that you can't use the divergence theorem, as it holds no matter the case. You cannot use cylindrical symmetry to simplify the system because the E field in the system will not be cylindrically symmetric. To prove this to yourself, take the shape of the field when z>>L.

Even as a volume integral, this is incorrect, as [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] is a unit vector, and I don't know where you are getting the ln(r) from. The area element [itex]d\vec{A} = \vec{r} \; d\phi dx [/itex] is proportional to and in the direction of [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]. To get the surface area, the area element is integrated at constant radius r=R. However, [itex]\vec{E} \cdot \hat{r}[/itex] would be a function of r and x, so it cannot be pulled out of the surface integral.

Yes, thank you!
The I actually got the ln(r) from the unit vector, since
[itex] \hat{r} = \frac{\vec{r}}{r} [/itex] and when integrating 1/r you get ln(r).
You are right though, my calculations are a mess, too many mistakes. Sorry about that. :/

At least I now know that this configuration does not permit cylindrical symmetry because of both ends of the cylinder, which seem to be the trouble makers.
Something like that would work for an infinitely long cylinder, though.

1. What is the divergence theorem and how does it relate to the electric field of a line charge?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of that field over the enclosed volume. This theorem can be applied to the electric field of a line charge by integrating the divergence of the field over a cylindrical surface surrounding the line charge. This allows us to calculate the electric field at any point along the line charge.

2. How is the electric field of a line charge calculated using the divergence theorem?

To calculate the electric field of a line charge using the divergence theorem, we first choose a closed cylindrical surface surrounding the line charge. Next, we calculate the divergence of the electric field at each point on the surface and integrate over the entire surface. The result is the electric field at any point along the line charge.

3. What is the significance of the electric field of a line charge in electrostatics?

The electric field of a line charge is an important concept in electrostatics as it helps us understand the behavior of electric charges in a system. It allows us to calculate the force experienced by a charge at any point in space and helps us analyze the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.

4. Can the divergence theorem be applied to other types of charge distributions?

Yes, the divergence theorem can be applied to any type of charge distribution, not just a line charge. It can be used to calculate the electric field for point charges, spherical charges, and other types of charge distributions by choosing an appropriate closed surface for integration.

5. How is the electric field of a line charge affected by the distance from the line charge?

The electric field of a line charge is inversely proportional to the distance from the line charge. This means that as the distance from the line charge increases, the electric field strength decreases. This is known as the "inverse square law" and is a fundamental concept in electrostatics.