Where can I find a downloadable database of stars?

• Thread starter tris_d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, There are a few databases available for downloading stars data, such as "NStars" and Vizier. The Vizier database may be incomplete, but there is also a catalog of stars called "psrcat" that may be more helpful. The data in these databases is given in a narrow band pass and may include composite results like bolometric magnitude. The V magnitude is a measure of brightness in a range of wavelengths centered around 5500 Angstroms, with larger numbers representing fainter stars. The Gliese Catalog of Nearby Stars is another option, containing nearly 4000 stars and downloadable in txt form.
tris_d
Stars database download?

Stars database download?

I found "NStars", it sounds like they have what I'm after, but the site is not online as is currently undergoing major redesign. Is there any other place? I'm looking for coordinates data, size, spectrum, luminosity and such. Maybe some free Astronomy program comes with such database I could open outside the program and extract the data in .txt file?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Try Vizier.

Chronos said:
Try Vizier.

Thank you. I don't see distances though, is there some particular type of database I need to look for that would contain information about the distance as well?

Chronos said:
The Vizier database is incomplete on many counts. Here is a catalog you may find more helpful - http://www.atnf.csiro.au/research/pulsar/psrcat/

Thank you. That looks great on the first sight, I'll just need to figure out how to make queries and see if I can get what I need, but even though it seems complicated I certainly like the various options to customize the output as that should prove useful once I figure it out.

Now, this is completely new to me, I need the data to incorporate it in my software, but I am not astronomer so I'm struggling to interpret it. Could you tell me if the light arriving from the stars in those databases is given as monochromatic, that is as being a single wavelength, perhaps some average, or is it more complicated than that?

tris_d said:
Stars database download?

I found "NStars", it sounds like they have what I'm after, but the site is not online as is currently undergoing major redesign. Is there any other place? I'm looking for coordinates data, size, spectrum, luminosity and such. Maybe some free Astronomy program comes with such database I could open outside the program and extract the data in .txt file?

Nstars is nearby stars, is that what you're interested in? http://www.chara.gsu.edu/RECONS/TOP100.posted.htm has an annoted list of nearby stars.

Spectral data is usually given in a narrow band pass [a restricted range of wavelengths]. There may be some composite results, like bolometric magnitude. The band pass data will give intensity at the wavelength measured and probably the cutoffs used.

chasrob said:
Nstars is nearby stars, is that what you're interested in? http://www.chara.gsu.edu/RECONS/TOP100.posted.htm has an annoted list of nearby stars.

Nearby stars for start. However that link will not open for me, looks as if the server is busy. I'll try later on.

Chronos said:
Spectral data is usually given in a narrow band pass [a restricted range of wavelengths]. There may be some composite results, like bolometric magnitude. The band pass data will give intensity at the wavelength measured and probably the cutoffs used.

Thank you.

chasrob said:

It works now. Great.

Can someone explain a little bit more about column 9:

- V magnitude is a measure of brightness at wavelengths centered near 5500 Angstroms, similar to the the color of light to which human eyes are most sensitive; larger positive numbers are fainter stars, where each factor of 2.5 in brightness is one magnitude; under good sky conditions, the eye is sensitive to magnitudes as faint as V = 6

a.) Would this be "white light" where larger number represent darker shade of gray?

b.) V=7 is "black" to human eye, but with longer exposure appears as lighter shade of gray?

What is a "Stars database download"?

A "Stars database download" is a collection of information about stars, such as their positions, brightness, and other characteristics. This data is often used by scientists and researchers to study and understand the universe.

Why would someone need to download a stars database?

Scientists and researchers may need to download a stars database in order to have accurate and up-to-date information for their studies and experiments. Additionally, having a downloadable database allows for easier access and manipulation of the data.

Where can I find a stars database to download?

Stars databases can be found on various astronomy and scientific websites, as well as through online databases and repositories. Some may require a subscription or payment, while others may be free to access and download.

What format do stars databases typically come in?

Stars databases can come in various formats, such as CSV, Excel, or SQL. Some databases may also offer multiple format options for users to choose from.

Can I contribute to a stars database?

It depends on the specific database and its policies. Some databases may allow for user contributions and updates, while others may only be managed by a specific group or organization. It is important to check the database's guidelines and terms of use before attempting to contribute.