Building a Particle Accelerator: Understanding Vacuum and Magnetism Techniques

In summary: I think you can get diffusion pumps used. (I don't know what state of repair it needs to be in, and what other items you'll need, but there are people who will know that.)In summary, constructing a particle accelerator is a complex project that should not be undertaken by an amateur. Building a vacuum system and providing magnetism are crucial components, and require a level of knowledge and skill that may not be easily attainable. Additionally, the idea that particles fade in and out of dimensions is a flawed understanding of quantum mechanics. It is important to stick to one topic and not make speculative statements that violate forum rules.
JackRohr
I am looking to making a particle accelerator but I don't understand how to make a vacuums. Wouldn't sucking out all the air make the pressure inside very extreme crushing the container? Also how would providing magnetism move them? Would you have to angle the magnets to "direct" the particle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lastly since atoms seem to fade in and out of our dimension how could this work? Even if the force is constant wouldn't the actual force on it not be?

JackRohr said:
I am looking to making a particle accelerator but I don't understand how to make a vacuums. Wouldn't sucking out all the air make the pressure inside very extreme crushing the container? Also how would providing magnetism move them? Would you have to angle the magnets to "direct" the particle?

Building a particle accelerator is not a job for an amatuer and you are clearly an amatuer. You will find several LOCKED threads on this forum about this. They are locked because it is dangerous.

JackRohr said:
Lastly since atoms seem to fade in and out of our dimension how could this work? Even if the force is constant wouldn't the actual force on it not be?

What do you mean "our dimension" ? There is no evidence of any dimension OTHER than ours so this seems to be a meaningless question.

I have read into this subject and I do believe I am not an "armature". Everyone started off as an armature at one point though. Just because I focus on other things then making my posts seem "smart" or well versed in the subject does not mean I am not. I just want to get my point across to the point where everyone can understand it and give me feedback. When you get into Metaphysics it shows how particles do seem to "fade" in and out of our view giving us the idea that it does go to other dimensions. I know this is a big project to take on but I believe I can do it. If not what is something else I could look into doing?

phinds said:
Building a particle accelerator is not a job for an amatuer and you are clearly an amatuer. You will find several LOCKED threads on this forum about this. They are locked because it is dangerous.

I like to see a link to news stories or stats on amateurs being injured building particle accelerators. Do they have to pay higher insurance?

JackRohr said:

Well, particle accelerators have been built and work just fine... So something is wrong with your thinking somewhere. In this case, it's the claim that atoms "fade in and out of our dimension" - they do no such thing.

danR said:
I like to see a link to news stories or stats on amateurs being injured building particle accelerators. Do they have to pay higher insurance?

You won't see a lot of news stories on amateurs being injured or killed doing their own open-heart surgery either... Doesn't mean it's either safe or within the reach of an amateur.

Please note that, for future reference, the field of accelerator physics is more of a classical physics topic than anything else. It is not night energy physics, and it isn't a quantum physics topic. One deals more in classical E&M than any other topic.

Secondly ,atoms do not fade on and out of our dimensions.

Thirdly, if you cannot get ahold of a simple CRT tube to use as your "particle accelerator" there is a very good chance that you will have even more trouble acquiring metallic vacuum systems and the appropriate vacuum pumps to construct an accelerator. I strongly suggest you do a search of PF first and see what had already been discussed.

Zz.

JackRohr said:

Everything about these questions mark you as an amateur.

I mean you no disrespect, but you clearly have EXTREMELY limited knowledge of physics and building a particle accelerator is quite a complex project. I suggest you study physics for a while before you take it on.

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if my thinking is flawed. I have many times tried things that have not worked out and ideas that have not made sense when looking back on them such as everyone has. I assumed that particles fade in and out because there electrons seem to. They go from an observable state to one where we can not detect them.

JackRohr said:
I would not be surprised if my thinking is flawed. I have many times tried things that have not worked out and ideas that have not made sense when looking back on them such as everyone has. I assumed that particles fade in and out because there electrons seem to. They go from an observable state to one where we can not detect them.

No. You have a severe misunderstanding of quantum mechanics.

We strongly suggest that you stick to one topic at a time. If you wish to learn how particle accelerators are constructed, stick to that. Do not littered that by including off-the-cuff remarks on something else, especially when you have a faulty understanding of it. You could easily make an erroneous and speculative post in violation of the PF Rules that you had agreed to.

Zz

I think you want to make a cyclotron. There used to be old-timey science projects in Scientific American ("The Amateur Scientist" section). But they require a level of shop-skills that just don't exist anymore. If you know how to use tools, you know there are risks involved just getting such a device built, and functioning properly, and that there are various risks operating it.

You cannot build a high-vacuum primary pump yourself, let alone the ultra-high vacuum pump, needed for an accelerator, I'm sure; and I don't know if any company is going to sell you such equipment.

I understand I may not be ready for this. I asked if anyone ad other ideas and I never got a response. Other ideas?

Did you miss the part when I mentioned about the vacuum CRT?

Zz.

What does not being able to acquire that (in your opnion) have to do with other ideas?

JackRohr said:
What does not being able to acquire that (in your opnion) have to do with other ideas?

Because it IS a particle accelerator.

I think we're done here. This is a dangerous activity, and we don't discuss those here.

1. How does a particle accelerator work?

A particle accelerator works by using a combination of vacuum and magnetism techniques to accelerate charged particles, such as protons or electrons, to extremely high speeds. These particles are then directed into a circular or linear path and are accelerated by powerful electric fields and magnetic fields.

2. What is the purpose of creating a vacuum in a particle accelerator?

The vacuum in a particle accelerator is necessary to prevent the particles from colliding with air molecules, which would cause them to lose energy and disrupt the acceleration process. Creating a vacuum also allows for greater control over the particles and their path.

3. How are magnets used in a particle accelerator?

Magnets are used in a particle accelerator to steer and focus the particles as they travel through the accelerator. The magnets create a strong magnetic field that can be adjusted to guide the particles in a specific direction and keep them on their desired path.

4. What materials are used to create the vacuum in a particle accelerator?

The most commonly used material for creating a vacuum in a particle accelerator is stainless steel. This is because it has a high melting point and is resistant to corrosion, making it suitable for withstanding the high temperatures and corrosive environments found in particle accelerators.

5. How do scientists control and measure the particles in a particle accelerator?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to control and measure the particles in a particle accelerator. This includes specialized detectors, such as particle detectors and radiation detectors, as well as computer systems and software that can track and analyze the behavior of the particles as they are accelerated.