Looking at buying the 8.9 kindle fire

by wolram
Tags: buying, kindle
Share this thread:
wolram
Aug28-13, 01:47 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,685
Does any one have one? I am looking at buying the 8.9 version , what are they like for surfing the net, forums etc, any other features that are notable?
what are they selling for in $US, thanks for any info i do not want to get burnt on a useless toy.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Drakkith
Aug28-13, 08:55 PM
Mentor
P: 11,868
I've got a kindle fire. All I really do is listen to Pandora on it and a small amount of web browsing.
Of course, part of the reason is that I hate the interface. I've had it for like 2 years now and I still don't really know how to get to the files I download. (Seriously, the interface is horrid)

Also, if I remember correctly, my Fire is not able to connect through Wifi to things like my cell phone thanks to Amazon wanting me to use their dumb Amazon Prime or whatever.

All in all I can't recommend it unless they're 8.9" is much different from mine.
Greg Bernhardt
Aug28-13, 11:05 PM
Admin
P: 9,521
It's a great price and I'd get one if I weren't already in bed with Apple.

Greg Bernhardt
Mar8-14, 04:31 PM
Admin
Looking at buying the 8.9 kindle fire

bah, my Fire just broke. Let's see how good Amazon customer service is. I want a replacement.
Evo
Mar9-14, 11:16 PM
Mentor
P: 26,538
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
bah, my Fire just broke. Let's see how good Amazon customer service is. I want a replacement.
Broke? What happened? I have the free repair and replacement even if I drop it into the toilet, dog eats it, etc... But I want to know what you encountered.
Greg Bernhardt
Mar11-14, 09:20 AM
Admin
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Broke? What happened? I have the free repair and replacement even if I drop it into the toilet, dog eats it, etc... But I want to know what you encountered.
I just opened it up one night and it started to turn off when it became unlocked. It just shut off. I think the battery went bad. Even when I connect it to an outlet. It always shuts off after I put in my pass code.
phinds
Mar11-14, 09:51 AM
PF Gold
P: 6,322
My wife got the fire some time back when her original Kindle died and she tells me she wished she had just gotten another basic one. She doesn't like the fire but, sorry, I can't remember why. Hm ... I'm not being very helpful here, am I
Evo
Mar11-14, 09:40 PM
Mentor
Weird, I hadn't used my Kidle Fire HD 8.9 in a couple of weeks, turned it on tonight, unlocked it, it blinked and powered off. WTH??? Then a box appeared with "KindleFire" in it, then after a moment, a message "KindleFire is upgrading". After a couple of minutes it shut off again and is fine now. Maybe your update got corrupted?
Greg Bernhardt
Mar11-14, 09:48 PM
Admin
Weird, I hadn't used my Kidle Fire HD 8.9 in a couple of weeks, turned it on tonight, unlocked it, it blinked and powered off. WTH??? Then a box appeared with "KindleFire" in it, then after a moment, a message "KindleFire is upgrading". After a couple of minutes it shut off again and is fine now. Maybe your update got corrupted?
That is exactly my situation. Except mine doesn't get fine, it always shuts down after 10-15 seconds. I'm calling Amazon tomorrow.
Greg Bernhardt
Mar14-14, 01:02 AM
Admin
Amazon is sending me a new Kindle Fire.
Drakkith
Mar14-14, 01:03 AM
Mentor
P: 11,868
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
Amazon is sending me a new Kindle Fire.
Nice.
Evo
Mar14-14, 11:43 AM
Mentor
Awesome, was it still under warranty? Or did they just do the right thing?
Greg Bernhardt
Mar14-14, 11:50 AM
Admin
Awesome, was it still under warranty? Or did they just do the right thing?
They didn't even mention it, I think they just did the "right" thing. Two day shipping too.
Evo
Mar14-14, 06:02 PM
Mentor
That's encouraging. I'd heard that they were doing things like this to keep feedback positive. Smart move. The damage bad reviews could do far outweigh their cost to replace when one goes bad for whatever reason.

Register to reply