Convergence of a series

In summary, a power series may converge for all values of x if the ratio of consecutive terms converges to 0. This is known as the ratio test and applies to power series with positive terms. However, one cannot conclude that a power series converges for all values of x simply because it converges to zero. The concept of radius of convergence also plays a role in determining the convergence of a power series.
Hummingbird25
Dear all

If a series e.g. a power series results in x convergering towards zero, can then one conclude that this series converge for all number if let's x belongs to R?

Sincerely Yours
Hummingbird25

Physics news on Phys.org
what do you mean by R? the ratio between terms?

I believe Hummingbird was referring to the set of real numbers (often denoted by R). The answer to the question (if I read it correctly, I had to read it a few times) is no also, look up "radius of convergence".

Hummingbird25 said:
Dear all

If a series e.g. a power series results in x convergering towards zero, can then one conclude that this series converge for all number if let's x belongs to R?

Sincerely Yours
Hummingbird25
This makes no sense at all. "A power series results in x converging towards zero"? First of all, x does not "converge" toward anything. It is a variable. Second, I don't know what you mean by saying "a power series results" in that.

If I really had to guess, I would guess you are asking about the "ratio test". If, for any series of positive numbers
[tex]\Sum_{n=0}^\infnty a_n[/tex] the sequence [tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}[/tex] converges to any number less than 1, then the series converges.

From that it follows that if, for the power series [tex]\Sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n[/itex] and some specific x, the ratio [tex]\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|\left|x\right|[/tex] is less than 1 then the series converges for that x. In particular, if [tex]\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|[/tex] converges to 0 then the above will converge to 0 <1 for all x and so the power series converges for all x.

1. What is the definition of convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series refers to the behavior of the terms in a sequence as the number of terms approaches infinity. A series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

2. How is the convergence of a series determined?

The convergence of a series can be determined by using various convergence tests such as the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests help determine whether the series will approach a finite value, diverge to infinity, or oscillate.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series that converges regardless of the order in which the terms are added. On the other hand, conditional convergence refers to a series that only converges when the terms are added in a specific order.

4. Can a series converge to more than one value?

No, a series can only converge to one value. If the series approaches different values depending on the order in which the terms are added, then it is not convergent.

5. What happens if a series does not converge?

If a series does not converge, it is said to diverge. This means that the sum of its terms does not approach a finite value and may either increase to infinity, decrease to negative infinity, or oscillate between values.