Is this right? (trig equation)

• Thread starter Byrgg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for all possible angles within a specific range, using the equation 8cos^2 theta + 7cos theta - 1 = 0. The individual's work shows the steps taken to find four possible angles, including 83, -83, 277, and -277 degrees, as well as 180 and -180 degrees. It is noted that the textbook only includes the first four angles, potentially leaving out the latter two by mistake. The individual also mentions a previous mistake made in their work, but ultimately solves the equation correctly.
Byrgg
It's set up like this and you have to solve for all possible angles:

-360 degrees <= theta <= 360 degrees

8cos ^ 2 theta + 7cos theta - 1 = 0

(my work)

(8cos - 1)(cos theta + 1) = 0

8cos theta - 1 = 0
8cos theta = 1
cos theta = 1/8
theta = 1/8 cos ^ -1

theta = 83 degrees
= -83 degrees
= 277 degrees
= -277 degrees

OR

cos theta + 1 = 0
cos theta = -1
theta = -1cos ^ -1

theta = 180 degrees
= -180 degrees

The back of the textbook has only the answers before my "OR", they do not show the possible 180 and -180 degrees that I calculated, did they just forget or did I mess something up?

Physics news on Phys.org
They must have left them out--your answers are correct. You can verify that those answers are correct by plugging them back into the original equation.

Ok thanks for your time, it not's the first time I've encountered incorrect(or in this case exclusive) answers in a textbook, just wanted to make sure.

Actually there's one more, would you mind helping me?

Let's have it. :smile:

Never mind I just figured it out, I accidentally wrote 4/2 * 1 = 1 instead of 2

I got the right answer after that correction, thanks anyways.

1. How do I know if my trigonometry equation is correct?

To determine if your trigonometry equation is correct, you can follow these steps:
1. Check if all the trigonometric functions are written correctly.
2. Substitute known values for the variables and simplify the equation.
3. Use a calculator to evaluate both sides of the equation and compare the results.
4. If the values are equal, then your equation is correct.

2. What should I do if my trigonometry equation doesn't look like the answer in the textbook?

If your equation doesn't look like the answer in the textbook, you can try to simplify it by using trigonometric identities or properties. You can also check if you made any errors when solving the equation, such as missing a negative sign or using the wrong formula.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve my trigonometry equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve your trigonometry equation. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind solving the equation by hand before relying on a calculator. Also, make sure to use a calculator that has trigonometric functions and is set to the correct mode (degrees or radians).

4. What if I can't solve my trigonometry equation?

If you are having difficulty solving your trigonometry equation, you can try breaking it down into smaller steps and solving each part individually. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. Additionally, there are many online resources and math forums where you can ask for assistance.

5. How can I check my answers for a trigonometry equation?

You can check your answers for a trigonometry equation by plugging them back into the original equation and simplifying both sides. If the values are equal, then your answer is correct. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph the equation and see if the resulting graph matches your answer.