How to Simplify an Integrand by Dividing the Denominator into the Numerator?

• Thread starter Ateowa
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving a fundamental integration and simplifying the function. The textbook suggests rewriting the integral by dividing the denominator into the numerator, which can be done using polynomial long division. The individual is grateful for the help and is now able to complete the problem.
Ateowa
I've just started fundamental Integration, so I don't know too many tricks, and every once and a while my textbook does something that I can't follow. In this case, it's not in the actual solving of the integral so much as it simplifying the function. Here's the problem:

[tex]\int \ \frac{8x^{3}dx}{4x^{2}+4x+5}[/tex]

In my textbook, it says "We can rewrite the given integral by dividing the denominator of the integrand into the numerator. Doing this, we obtain:"

[tex]\int \ 2x-2-\frac{2x-10}{4x^{2}+4x+5}[/tex]

I have absolutely no idea how to do that. I thought I might be able to pull it off with long division or synthetic division, but I don't really know how to do it. I tried doing a quick google to find out what to do, but it's all division with a single root. I'm sure it's actually really simple, but I just can't figure it out.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I figured because it was in the middle of solving a Calculus problem, this was the forum to put it in. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use polynomial long division (quickie tutorial in that http://www.mathsrevision.net/alevel/pages.php?page=1.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew it was something simple that I was missing...

Thanks a bunch, benorin. Now I can finish up that problem and turn in for the night!

What is integrand simplification?

Integrand simplification is the process of manipulating and reducing a mathematical expression that appears under the integral sign in a definite or indefinite integral.

Why is integrand simplification important?

Integrand simplification is important because it allows for easier integration and can help to solve more complex mathematical problems. It also allows us to better understand the behavior and properties of integrals.

What are some common techniques used for integrand simplification?

Some common techniques for integrand simplification include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric identities, and algebraic manipulation.

How do I know when to use integrand simplification?

You should use integrand simplification if the integrand is complex or difficult to integrate. It can also be used to make the integrand more manageable and to reveal underlying patterns or relationships.

Are there any pitfalls to watch out for when using integrand simplification?

Yes, it is important to be careful when simplifying the integrand as it can sometimes lead to incorrect results. It is important to double check your work and make sure that any substitutions or manipulations you make are valid and do not change the overall value of the integral.