Is a mobius strip spin 1/2 object?

In summary, the discussion of electron spin 1/2 in relation to the Mobius strip is an analogy that is used in discussions of spin. The spin 1/2 of electrons comes from applying classical theory to the spectrum.
Sammywu
Remember Phiysicist always say electron has a spin of 1/2; I can't remember how it was derived?

But I noticed a mobius strip exihibit interesting attribute. Can we consider a mobius strip a spin 1/2 object?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electron spin 1/2 is an intrinsic quantum theory property. A mobius strip is a twisted piece of paper - it has nothing to do with quantum teory.

Originally posted by mathman
Electron spin 1/2 is an intrinsic quantum theory property. A mobius strip is a twisted piece of paper - it has nothing to do with quantum teory.

Well, a mobius strip is a non-orientable manifold, not a "twisted piece of paper". The obvious "connection" between the orientation of a unit normal vector on a mobius strip and 2-spinors (the representations of angular momentum states) is that they both require rotations of [tex]4\pi[/tex] to regain their original orientation.

So, mobius strip normal orientation and spinor rotations aren't that different.

Shouldn't this discussion be in the Quantum Physics subforum?

Last edited:
As has been mentioned by many people before us, the entire spin-1/2 business falls out of relativistic Q.M.

The Mobius strip property is an analogy that is used in discussions of spin, at least pedagogically - I remember it being mentioned in undergraduate Q.M., as well as in the ever so delightful Principles of Magnetic Resonance by C.P. Slichter. It's intended to serve as a useful first step to understanding rotations.

I thought my high school Physics teacher already showed us the spin 1/2 of electrons by examining its angular momentum against its light absortion spectrum.

That's why I thought this could be put in here as all it involves is rotation and angular momentum.

What you told me now is that the electrons' spins are more likely a QM quantity not related to a classical anugular rotation. I am not familiar with the modern QM at all. But didn't this spin 1/2 come originally from applying classical theory to the spectrum?

1. What is a Mobius strip?

A Mobius strip is a one-sided surface with only one edge and one side. It is formed by twisting a strip of paper and joining the ends together, resulting in a continuous loop with only one surface.

2. Can a Mobius strip exist in three dimensions?

No, a Mobius strip is a two-dimensional object. It can only exist in three dimensions if it is embedded in a larger space, but it will still only have two dimensions.

3. What is the significance of a spin 1/2 object?

Spin 1/2 objects are particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons and protons. They exhibit unique quantum behaviors and are important in understanding fundamental principles of physics.

4. Is a Mobius strip considered a spin 1/2 object?

No, a Mobius strip is a topological object and does not have a spin. It is a mathematical concept rather than a physical particle.

5. How is a Mobius strip related to spin 1/2 objects?

There is no direct relationship between a Mobius strip and spin 1/2 objects. However, the concept of a Mobius strip can be used to explain certain properties of spin 1/2 particles, such as their ability to rotate by 360 degrees and return to their original state.