Can someone check if i'm doing this right?

• Thread starter leehom
  • Start date
In summary, the speed of the image relative to Dubbie is 7.0 m/s when Dubbie is moving directly toward the mirror at 3.5 m/s. When Dubbie walks away from the mirror at an angle of 30 degrees, the velocity normal to the mirror is 1.75 m/s, resulting in a relative speed of 3.5 m/s.
leehom
Dubbie is moving directly along a normal line toward a plain mirror at a speed of 3.5 m/s, what is the speed of the image relative to Dubbie?

v Dubbie + v mirror = v image
3.5 m/s + 3.5 m/s = 7.0 m/s

What is the speed of the image, relative to Dubbie, if Dubbie walk away from the mirror surface at 3.5 m/s at an angle of 300 to the mirror surface?

Given:
θ = 300
v= 3.5 m/s

x/v= sinθ
x/(3.5 m/s) = sin300
x = [(3.5 m/s) sin300]
x = 1.75 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry.. should be sin 30 deg

I'm not sure what you're doing for part 2. Have you drawn a diagram of what is happening and what you need to find out? Basically you want to find the velocity normal to the surface of the mirror and double that.

1. How do I know if I am doing something correctly in my experiment?

One way to check if you are doing something correctly in your experiment is to follow the instructions or procedures provided by the experiment or lab manual. Another way is to consult with your lab instructor or other knowledgeable individuals in the field.

2. What are some common mistakes I should watch out for when conducting an experiment?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when conducting an experiment include not following the instructions or procedures accurately, using incorrect measurements or equipment, and not properly recording data. It is important to double-check your work and ask for assistance if needed.

3. Can I ask someone to check my experiment before I conduct it?

Yes, it is always a good idea to have someone check your experiment before conducting it. This can help identify any potential errors or areas where you may need clarification. It is important to have a second set of eyes to ensure accuracy in your experiment.

4. What should I do if I am unsure about the accuracy of my experiment?

If you are unsure about the accuracy of your experiment, it is best to consult with your lab instructor or other experts in the field. They can provide guidance and help troubleshoot any potential issues. It is also important to review the instructions and procedures to ensure they are being followed correctly.

5. How can I check if my data is reliable and valid?

To check if your data is reliable and valid, you can perform statistical analysis or conduct multiple trials of your experiment. This can help identify any outliers or inconsistencies in your data. Additionally, you can compare your results with other studies or experiments to see if they align with previous findings.