How to escape a suspended Matlab?

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to stop a stubborn running program, specifically in relation to the operating system being used. The suggested methods include using the Windows Task Manager on Windows, using bash on Linux, and using the force quit command on Mac OS X.
pixel01
Hi all,

I sometimes get into trouble of running Matlab programs, then when I press Ctrl+C, the program does not stop. I can only reset the PC and that takes a lot of time. Does anyone know other ways to stop a stubborn running program?.

Physics news on Phys.org
What operating system are you using? The Windows Task Manager can be started with Shift + Ctrl + Escape (sometimes also Ctrl + Alt + Delete) and that can close the program, if under windows. If you're using Linux you could close it with bash by looking up the PID with ps and then using "kill *" where * is the PID. For Mac OS X there's a force quit command on the finder.

There are a few options you can try to escape a suspended Matlab program:

1. Use the "Ctrl+Break" shortcut: Instead of using "Ctrl+C", try using "Ctrl+Break" to stop the program. This may work in cases where "Ctrl+C" does not.

2. Use the "dbquit" command: If you have access to the command window, you can try using the "dbquit" command to force the program to stop. This will terminate all running scripts and functions.

3. Use the Task Manager: If you are using Windows, you can try using the Task Manager to end the Matlab process. Simply open the Task Manager, find the Matlab process, and click "End Task".

4. Use the "quit" command in the command window: If you have access to the command window, you can try using the "quit" command to exit Matlab completely. This will end all running programs and close the Matlab window.

5. Use the "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" shortcut: If all else fails, you can try using the "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" shortcut to open the Task Manager and force quit the Matlab process.

I hope one of these options will work for you and help you escape a suspended Matlab program without having to reset your PC.

1. How do I escape a suspended Matlab session?

The most common way to escape a suspended Matlab session is to press Ctrl+C. This will interrupt the current execution and return you to the command window.

2. Can I resume a suspended Matlab session?

Yes, you can resume a suspended Matlab session by typing "dbcont" in the command window. This will continue the execution from where it was suspended.

3. What causes a Matlab session to become suspended?

A Matlab session can become suspended due to various reasons such as an error in the code, a breakpoint set by the user, or using the "dbstop if error" command in the code.

4. Is it possible to disable the suspension of a Matlab session?

Yes, you can disable the suspension of a Matlab session by using the "dbclear if error" command in the code. This will prevent the session from being suspended in case of an error.

5. How can I troubleshoot a suspended Matlab session?

If your Matlab session is repeatedly becoming suspended, you can try using the "dbstatus" command to check for any breakpoints or errors in the code. You can also use the "dbclear all" command to clear all breakpoints and resume the session.