Calculus, by Larson, Hostetler, and Edwards.

• Thread starter Gauged
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, this book would be a good starting point for someone self-studying calculus for the first time, but may not be the best option for someone who has already completed a calculus course.
Gauged
I have a relatively simple question to ask anyone so inclined to give me an answer. I recently finished self teaching pre-calculus with the text Algebra and Trigonometry, by Beecher, Penna, and Bittinger, which is an excellent self study text I might add. The book I have chosen to graduate onto is, as you can probably guess, Calculus, by Larson, Hostetler, and Edwards. My question, before I delve right in is, would this text be a good book to start learning calculus with every intention of graduating from community college to major in physics at a university? My long term intent is to develope a very solid base in mathematics before I start on the road toward a physics degree, and I am not sure if there is another standard of mathematical technique I am missing in my preparations for the graduate curriculum. For the most part, time is on my side, I do not feel the need to rush into things, and very much want to have a deeper understanding of the physical concepts, insofar as math is concerned, at least, which is why I am self studying before taking further 'qualified learning' (in order to avoid the concurrent math-physics stuggle). Any suggestions about this would be much appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is book that I was taught calculus from and with all honesty I was not a big fan of it. Its not a "bad" calculus book, but I thought many of the examples and explanations were lacking. Crack it open and see how well you can follow it. Don't be affraid to hit up a discount book store and browse through different and perhaps older books either (sometimes in math, the older is better). Couple sites on the internet you may want to try as well.

http://www.math.ncsu.edu/calculus/web/videos.html
http://tutor-homework.com/Math_Help/Calculus.html
http://www.math.armstrong.edu/faculty/hollis/calcvideos/
http://www.clarku.edu/~djoyce/trig/

Have fun learing this wonderful subject!

If the book edition is anything like the earlier one published in the early '80's, then it should be very acceptable for self-study. The book should be fine for the first three semesters of Calculus Plus Analytic Geometry.

Thank you for your replies, though I suppose the obveous follow up question would be, what comes after the first three semesters of calculus, excluding analytic geometry, in terms of a physics major? Not that I am thinking about self studying up to/past that point (possible?), but purely to satisfy a curiosity.

Last edited:
Linear Algebra and ODE's are your next stop on the math train.

Much to learn still, much to learn... bring it on. :cool:

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of change. It is used to analyze and model continuous change in various systems, such as motion, growth, and optimization problems.

2. Who are the authors of "Calculus, by Larson, Hostetler, and Edwards"?

The authors of "Calculus" are Ron Larson, Robert Hostetler, and Bruce Edwards. They are all professors of mathematics and have many years of experience in teaching and writing textbooks.

3. What topics are covered in "Calculus, by Larson, Hostetler, and Edwards"?

The book covers a wide range of topics in both single-variable and multivariable calculus, including limits, derivatives, integrals, differential equations, and vector calculus. It also includes real-world applications and exercises for students to practice and apply their knowledge.

4. Is "Calculus, by Larson, Hostetler, and Edwards" suitable for beginners?

Yes, the book is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics of calculus and gradually builds upon them. It also includes helpful examples and explanations to aid in understanding the concepts.

5. Can "Calculus, by Larson, Hostetler, and Edwards" be used for self-study?

Yes, the book can be used for self-study as it is well-organized and includes detailed explanations and examples. However, it is recommended to also seek guidance from a teacher or tutor to fully understand the concepts and solve challenging problems.