New 25-Mile Radius Wireless Network - Is It Real?

In summary, according to the article, a new wireless network is coming out that will allow hotspots up to 25 miles away. This network is meant for home use, and they don't mention price yet.
aychamo
I hear there is a new type of wireless network coming out, allowing 25 mile radius hotspots? Is this true??

I mean, I'd love to buy a 25 mile radius router for my cable modem. I could use my **** at school!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Wi-Fi security

You might have security issues, with a 25 mile hotspot radius.

If I had my router with a changed default password, and with MAC address filtering on, how could they get into my network?

Inherhent unsecurity of Wi-Fi

MAC addresses are supposed to be unique, but you can change the one on a given device to whatever you like http://home.jwu.edu/jwright/papers/wlan-mac-spoof.pdf by burning a new EEPROM chip.

If I had my router with a changed default password
You're using WPA, right (and not the out-of-date WEP)? The longer (than 20 characters), the better:

• As the standard states, passphrases longer than 20 characters are needed to start deterring attacks. This is considerably longer than most people will be willing to use.

This offline attack should be easier to execute than the WEP attacks.

Using Random values for the PSK

The PSK MAY be a 256-bit (64 hexadecimal) random number. This is a large number for human entry; 20 character passphrases are considered too long for entry. Given the nature of the attack against the 4-Way Handshake, a PSK with only 128 bits of security is really sufficient, and in fact against current brute-strength attacks, 96 bits SHOULD be adequate. This is still larger than a large passphrase, but is unlikely to be in a dictionary attack. Using a relatively small random value represented in hexadecimal, and entering it as a passphrase will expand it to a proper 256-bit PSK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye, but if a hacker is that determined to get 54mbs (or whatever unit) or 11mbs internet access, then so be it. I'd doubt any hacker would be so determined to gain access to my network that he'd burn an EEPROM. How would they get my MAC address anyway?

Regardless, what is the news on this technology? Is this WiFi-Max meant for home use? Price?

Big MAC snortack

aychamo said:
How would they get my MAC address anyway?
Sniff.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

1. What is a 25-mile radius wireless network?

A 25-mile radius wireless network is a wireless network that covers a 25-mile area, allowing devices within that radius to connect and communicate with each other without the need for physical cables.

2. Is a 25-mile radius wireless network possible?

Yes, a 25-mile radius wireless network is possible with the use of powerful transmitters and receivers, as well as careful planning and optimization of the network.

3. What are the benefits of a 25-mile radius wireless network?

A 25-mile radius wireless network can provide increased range and coverage compared to traditional wireless networks, making it ideal for large outdoor areas or rural locations. It also eliminates the need for expensive and time-consuming cable installations.

4. What are the potential challenges of a 25-mile radius wireless network?

One potential challenge of a 25-mile radius wireless network is interference from other wireless networks or physical obstacles such as buildings or terrain. It may also require more advanced technology and expertise to set up and maintain.

5. Is the "New 25-Mile Radius Wireless Network" real?

Without more specific information, it is impossible to determine if the specific network being referred to is real. However, in general, a 25-mile radius wireless network is a feasible technology that has been implemented in various applications and industries.