Engineering Physics & CS: A Sustainable Energy Career?

• Thread starter elephantorz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of sustainable energy as a potential career choice. The speaker is interested in pursuing a double major in Engineering Physics and Computer Science, but is unsure about the practicality of this path. They mention the potential for the market to improve in the future and consider taking renewable/sustainable energy classes in New Mexico. Another participant suggests nuclear engineering as a potential field to pursue.
elephantorz
I don't know where this goes, Mods, I'm sorry :[ .

I'm interested in sustainable energy as a career, I know the market right now for it is not that awesome, but I believe it will be in the future.

There is a degree here in CO called Engineering Physics, I want to double major in it and CS, what can I do with that? I mean am I going into this realistically? Thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
elephantorz said:
I don't know where this goes, Mods, I'm sorry :[ .

I'm interested in sustainable energy as a career, I know the market right now for it is not that awesome, but I believe it will be in the future.

There is a degree here in CO called Engineering Physics, I want to double major in it and CS, what can I do with that? I mean am I going into this realistically? Thanks everyone!

I think its like 'computer science' was in the 1980's

Cross the border to NM and come to San Juan College here in Farmington and take some of the great renewable/ sustainable energy classes.

binzing said:
Cross the border to NM and come to San Juan College here in Farmington and take some of the great renewable/ sustainable energy classes.

I would if I could...right now I am just looking at CO School of Mines for stuff, but I am just trying to get info about things, I still need a degree first :D.

Nuclear engineering is where you want to be.

1. What is Engineering Physics & CS?

Engineering Physics & CS is an interdisciplinary field that combines concepts from engineering, physics, and computer science to develop solutions for various technological and scientific challenges. This field focuses on the application of physics principles to the design and development of technologies in various industries, such as energy, healthcare, and telecommunications.

2. What are the career opportunities in Engineering Physics & CS?

Career opportunities in Engineering Physics & CS are diverse and can vary depending on the specific area of focus. Some common career paths include renewable energy engineer, data scientist, research and development engineer, software engineer, and technical consultant. Graduates in this field are also well-equipped to pursue advanced degrees in engineering, physics, or computer science.

3. How does Engineering Physics & CS contribute to sustainable energy?

Engineering Physics & CS plays a crucial role in developing sustainable energy solutions by leveraging physics principles to design and optimize energy systems. This can include designing renewable energy sources, developing energy-efficient technologies, and implementing data-driven solutions to improve energy management and distribution.

4. What skills are required to pursue a career in Engineering Physics & CS?

To excel in Engineering Physics & CS, one needs a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science. Along with technical skills, problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills are also essential for success in this field. Additionally, having a passion for sustainability and a drive to innovate are highly valued traits in this career.

5. What are the current advancements in Engineering Physics & CS?

The field of Engineering Physics & CS is constantly evolving, and there are many exciting advancements being made. Some current areas of focus include the development of smart energy grids, artificial intelligence for renewable energy optimization, and the use of quantum computing for energy-efficient solutions. Additionally, there is a growing emphasis on incorporating sustainability and social responsibility into technological advancements in this field.