A Fine Line between Normality and Abnormality

• Thread starter coberst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the conversation delves into the concept of normality and abnormality and how it relates to human behavior and psychology. Aristotle and Freud's theories on happiness and the reality-principle are discussed, as well as Freud's idea of repression and the unconscious mind. The idea of a universal neurosis in mankind is also brought up. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the line between normality and abnormality is subjective and based on practical factors such as one's ability to function in society.
coberst
A Fine Line between Normality and Abnormality

Aristotle said that all men seek happiness. Freud said that the goal of the pleasure-principle is happiness. Man’s desire for happiness sets at odds to the reality-principle. It is the reality-principle that propels the world into tomorrow. Humans naturally seek what they wish but “reality imposes on human beings the necessity of renunciation of pleasures”.

Freud says that the whole edifice of psychoanalysis is constructed on the theory of repression—the essence of society is the repression of the individual--the essence of the individual is repression of him or her self—Freud’s theory is that the phenomena dreams, neurotic symptoms, and errors are caused—i.e. the principle of psychic determinism—they are meaningful because this means there is purpose or intention—“since the purport of these purposive expressions is generally unknown to the person whose purpose they express, Freud is driven to embrace the paradox that there are in a human being purposes of which he knows nothing, involuntary purpose”—i.e. unconscious ideas.

Freud discovered the importance of repression when he discovered the meaning of the “mad” symptoms of the mentally deranged, plus the meaning of dreams, and thirdly the everyday happenings regarded as slips of the tongue, errors, and random thoughts. He concludes that dreams, mental derangements, and common every day errors (Freudian slips) have meaningful causes that can be explained. Meaningful is the key word here.

The rejection of an idea which is one’s very own and remains so is repression. The essence of repression is in the fact that the individual refuses to recognize this reality of her very own nature. This nature becomes evident when it erupts into consciousness only in dreams or neurotic symptoms or by slips of the tongue.

The unconscious is illuminated only when it is being repressed by the conscious mind. It is a process of psychic conflict. “We obtain our theory of the unconscious from the theory of repression.” Freud’s hypothesis of the repressed unconscious results from the conclusion that it is common to all humans. This is a phenomenon of everyday life; neurosis is common to all humans.

Dreams are normal phenomena and being that the structure of dreams is common to neurotics and normal people the dream is also neurotic. “Between “normality” and “abnormality” there is no qualitative but only quantitative difference, based largely on the practical question of whether our neurosis is serious enough to incapacitate us for work…the doctrine of the universal neurosis of mankind is the psychoanalytical analogue of the theological doctrine of original sin.”

Quotes from “Life against Death: The Psychoanalytical Meaning of History” Norman O. Brown

Physics news on Phys.org
AHHHH---what a fine line between normal and abnormal-----I see many behaviors/attitudes even on this forum (and many other places) that I would consider both normal and abnormal----so the question is where on the Bell shaped curve do you put the vertical lines to divide---and from whose experience and judgment do you go by?

(and do you consider this a rhetorical question?)

rewebster said:
AHHHH---what a fine line between normal and abnormal-----I see many behaviors/attitudes even on this forum (and many other places) that I would consider both normal and abnormal----so the question is where on the Bell shaped curve do you put the vertical lines to divide---and from whose experience and judgment do you go by?

(and do you consider this a rhetorical question?)

We are all neurotic. The dividing line is a practical one. If I can function at my job I am normal if not I am abnormal.

1. What is the difference between normality and abnormality?

Normality refers to behaviors, thoughts, and emotions that are considered typical or expected within a given society or culture. Abnormality, on the other hand, refers to behaviors, thoughts, and emotions that deviate from what is considered normal or expected.

2. How is abnormality determined in psychology?

In psychology, abnormality is typically determined by considering several factors, such as the frequency, intensity, and duration of a behavior or thought pattern. Other factors include the impact of the behavior on the individual's daily functioning and whether the behavior is a symptom of a larger mental health disorder.

3. Can something be both normal and abnormal at the same time?

Yes, it is possible for something to be both normal and abnormal at the same time. For example, certain behaviors may be considered normal in one culture but abnormal in another. Additionally, an individual may exhibit both normal and abnormal behaviors or thoughts depending on the context or situation.

4. How do societal norms and expectations influence the definition of abnormality?

Societal norms and expectations play a significant role in defining abnormality. These norms and expectations vary across different cultures and can change over time. What is considered abnormal in one society may be considered normal in another. Therefore, societal norms and expectations must be taken into account when determining abnormality.

5. Can abnormal behaviors or thoughts be treated or cured?

Yes, abnormal behaviors or thoughts can be treated and, in some cases, cured. Treatment options may include therapy, medication, or a combination of both. However, the success of treatment may vary depending on the underlying causes and individual factors. It is important to seek professional help and follow a treatment plan tailored to the individual's needs.