Stupid Stubborn Mule and his Kinetic/Static Friction

In summary, the farmer attempts to move a 120 kg mule with a maximum force of 770 N, using a rope. The coefficients of friction between the mule and the ground are µs = 0.8 and µk = 0.5. It is determined that the maximum static friction force the mule can generate is 941 N, while the applied force is 770 N. This means that the farmer is unable to move the mule, as the applied force is less than the maximum static friction force. If the mule were to move, the farmer would need to exert an extra force of 182 N, as calculated using the coefficient of kinetic friction.
Phoenixtears
SOLVED

Homework Statement

A stubborn, 120 kg mule sits down and refuses to move. To drag the mule to the barn, the exasperated farmer ties a rope around the mule and pulls with his maximum force of 770 N. The coefficients of friction between the mule and the ground are µs = 0.8 and µk = 0.5. Is the farmer able to move the mule?

no

If so, how much force in excess of the required amount did the farmer pull? If not, how much more force does the farmer require?
N

Homework Equations

F= Ma
F(fric)= (Coefficient of friction)*N(normal force)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer to the first part of this question through guessing, so I'm not sure if there is actually work invovled there that needs to be used for part 2 that I therefore don't have due to the fact that I guessed. Anyway, I'm not sure how to approach this problem. Using those equations I got answers separately for static friction and kinetic friction, but I don't think either of those is what I'm looking for. My thought is that I can just disregard kinetic for a second because using 770N, only static friction is involved.

Is there a different way to approach this problem??

Thank you so much in advance!

~Phoenix

PS- I do realize that my net force is zero, for in my force diagram all the vectors should equal each other. But, then how is one to get the amount of force needed to actually pull the mule?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Phoenixtears said:
I got the answer to the first part of this question through guessing, so I'm not sure if there is actually work invovled there that needs to be used for part 2 that I therefore don't have due to the fact that I guessed. Anyway, I'm not sure how to approach this problem. Using those equations I got answers separately for static friction and kinetic friction, but I don't think either of those is what I'm looking for. My thought is that I can just disregard kinetic for a second because using 770N, only static friction is involved.

Hi Phoenix! :smile:

Yes, you're right … the kinetic friction is irrelevant.
I do realize that my net force is zero, for in my force diagram all the vectors should equal each other. But, then how is one to get the amount of force needed to actually pull the mule?

In exam questions like this, you should always assume that the acceleration is negligible … the mule moves, but only just … in other words, the acceleration is zero.

Show us what you think the answer is. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Phoenix! :smile:

In exam questions like this, you should always assume that the acceleration is negligible … the mule moves, but only just … in other words, the acceleration is zero.

The only relevant equation that involes the acceleration is F=ma. However, showing that the acceleration is zero wouldn't aid us in that equation. Hmmm...

All right, a different view...

Using the fact that acceleration is so low would mean that the total force comes out to be zero. Therefore the answer would be zero. But that doesn't seem right at all. 770N could be 1000N away from actually being able to move the mule just an inch.

µs = 0.8
Using this seems like a good idea. But when put into the second equation, the maximum static friction comes out to be 96. (.8*120). I have no idea where to go.
Using this

Phoenixtears said:
But when put into the second equation, the maximum static friction comes out to be 96. (.8*120).
What's the maximum static friction force that the mule can generate? (Correct your equation above. What's the normal force? 120 kg is the mule's mass.)

Compare this to the applied force of 770N and then decide whether he can move the mule or not.

GAR! Darn it! I don't know how many times I've substituted mass for weight.

In other words, all I have to do is multiply 120*9.8 to get the weight. (Which is 1176) Then multiply that by .8, to give me the maximum static friction. 941-770=171.

Thank you so much!

Oh, a friend asked about what would happen if the man could move the mule and we were trying to find how much extra force was exerted. Wouldn't that mean taking the WEIGHT (got it this time) being 1176, then multiplying by .5 (the kinetic energy), equaling 588. 770-588=182. Would that be correct?

Phoenixtears said:
Oh, a friend asked about what would happen if the man could move the mule and we were trying to find how much extra force was exerted. Wouldn't that mean taking the WEIGHT (got it this time) being 1176, then multiplying by .5 (the kinetic energy), equaling 588. 770-588=182. Would that be correct?
Exactly. (But that's the coefficient of kinetic friction, not kinetic energy. :wink:)

Right, right, of course. :)

Thank you so much for all of the help.

~Phoenix

What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in motion. It is caused by the roughness of the surfaces that are in contact with each other and is proportional to the normal force between the surfaces.

What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is at rest. It is stronger than kinetic friction and prevents objects from sliding when a force is applied to them.

How does a stubborn mule affect kinetic and static friction?

A stubborn mule can affect kinetic and static friction by exerting a force on the ground that creates a normal force. This normal force then creates the frictional force that opposes the mule's motion. The more stubborn the mule, the greater the force and friction.

Can kinetic or static friction be reduced?

Yes, both kinetic and static friction can be reduced by using lubricants or by smoothing out the surfaces in contact. This reduces the roughness and allows the surfaces to slide more easily, decreasing the friction force.

How does understanding kinetic and static friction benefit us?

Understanding kinetic and static friction allows us to predict how objects will move and interact with each other. This knowledge is crucial in designing machines and structures, as well as in everyday tasks such as walking or driving a car.