Proof regarding property of continuity

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that if a function f(x) satisfies the functional equation f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) and is continuous, then f(x) = cx for some constant c. The proof involves showing that f(nx) = nf(x) for integers n and using the density of rational numbers to extend it to all real numbers. The continuity of the function is essential for this proof.
JG89

Homework Statement

Prove that if f(x) satisfies the functional equation f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) and if f is continuous then f(x) = cx for some constant c.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume |f(a)| > |ca| for some a in the domain of f. Since f is continuous at every point then for every e > 0 we can find a d > 0 such that |f(x) - f(x+a)| < e whenever |x - (x+a)| < d.
We have |f(x) - (f(x) + f(a)| = |-f(a)| = |f(a)| < e whenever |a| < d. Since |ca| < f(a)| < e then |ca| < e, implying that |a| < e/|c|. Thus we can take d = e/|c|, implying that
|c|d = e. Now, since d would be points on the x-axis and e points on the y axis, then we have y = |c|x, or f(x) = cx for all x in the domain of f. However, we said that |f(a)| > |ca|. So this is a contradiction.

If we assume |f(a)| < |ca| for some a in the domain of f, then we have again |f(a)| < e whenever |a| < d. However, we don't know if |f(a)| < |ca| < e or |f(a)| < e < |ca|. If it's |f(a)| < |ca| < e then we can continuous with our proof using the same argument as before. If it's |f(a)| < e < |ca| then we can't. However, the function g(x) = cx is also continuous for all x and so we have |f(a)| < |ca| < e'. Then |a| < e'/|c| and we can choose d = e'|c|, implying that |c|d = e', implying that |c|x = y = f(x). This is again a contradiction, so therefore |f(x)| = |cx|. So if f(x) > 0 then f(x) = cx. And if f(x) < 0 then -f(x) = -(cx), implying that f(x) = cx. Therefore f(x) = cx. QED

Is this a valid proof? I found the question difficult so I want to make sure that the proof is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason why I think my proof is not valid is because the assumption is that for some x = a, with a < d, we have f(a) < ca and f(a) > ca. Since a is less then d, then it's okay if |c|d = e. But on the other hand, the equation |c|d = e must hold for every positive d, and if d is negative, we have |c|(-d) = -e, also, it is easy to prove that f(0) = 0 for this function, so shouldn't the whole function also be f(x) = |c|x?

I haven't really read your proof, because it looks like it's overly complicated. This problem is simpler than that. You said you noticed that f(0)=0. Try proving that in fact f(nx)=nf(x) for every integer n (positive and negative). Then use this to prove that f(rx)=rf(x) for every rational r. Finally, use the density of the rationals.

Of course all of this is assuming f is defined from R into R.

Assuming f is defined in the appropriate domain:
If f(a) is not zero for some a (otherwise we are done).
What is [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{f(a/n)}{a/n}[/tex]?

What does that tell us about [tex]\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{f(h)}{h}[/tex]?

Finally, can we determine if f'(x) exists and what it is?

morphism said:
I haven't really read your proof, because it looks like it's overly complicated. This problem is simpler than that. You said you noticed that f(0)=0. Try proving that in fact f(nx)=nf(x) for every integer n (positive and negative). Then use this to prove that f(rx)=rf(x) for every rational r. Finally, use the density of the rationals.

Of course all of this is assuming f is defined from R into R.

It seems that the continuity of the function is not needed in such proof? I'm not sure if I miss something...

boombaby said:
It seems that the continuity of the function is not needed in such proof? I'm not sure if I miss something...

You need the continuity to go from f(rx)=rf(x) for all rational r to all real r.

yea... I got it now. it needs the continuity to have [tex]f(x)=lim_{rational r->x}f(r)=lim_{r->x}rf(1)=xf(1).[/tex]
Thanks

Morphism, thanks for the help. I managed to prove f(nx) = nf(x), now I'm working on it for f(rx) = rf(x). I'll post up my proof tomorrow as tonight is thanks giving (over here in Canada at least) and I'll be busy all night.

1. What is the property of continuity?

The property of continuity states that a function is continuous if the limit of the function at a point is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph of the function.

2. How can you prove continuity of a function?

To prove continuity of a function, you must show that the limit of the function at a point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. This can be done using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit or by using the intermediate value theorem.

3. What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are two related but distinct properties of a function. Continuity refers to the behavior of a function at a point, while differentiability refers to the existence of the derivative of a function at a point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, but if a function is differentiable, it must also be continuous.

4. Can a function be continuous at one point but discontinuous at another?

Yes, a function can be continuous at one point while being discontinuous at another. This can happen when the function has a "hole" or a point of discontinuity at a specific point, but is otherwise continuous.

5. How does the property of continuity apply to real-world situations?

The property of continuity has many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering. For example, the velocity of an object as a function of time is continuous, meaning that there are no sudden changes in the object's speed. In economics, the demand and supply curves are also continuous functions, as they represent the smooth relationship between price and quantity demanded or supplied.