Product of Elementary Matrices

In summary, the given permutation matrix can be written as a product of three elementary matrices, obtained by reversing the row interchanges used to reduce the given matrix to row echelon form. The order of the matrices in the product should be reversed to get the correct answer.
ae4jm

Homework Statement

Write the given permutation matrix as a product of elementary (row interchange) matrices.

\begin{array}{ccc} 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \end{array}

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the row echelon form to be the identity matrix \begin{array}{ccc} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} by R3 to R1, R2 to R3, and R3 to R4.

I have not been able to get the answer that the book gets, which is
\begin{array}{ccc} 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \begin{array}{ccc} 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \begin{array}{ccc} 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array}
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused with your format, but I think I can still help you out.

Your book probably has a theorem like this in it:

'if A is a nxm matrix, and E is an mxm elementary matrix (a matrix that is obtained from the identity matrix by only one operation), then multiplication on the left by E is the same operation on A as the operation that was used on the identity matrix to obtain E.'

So if you can get A to the identity by reducing, you should be able now to write it as a product of elementary matrices, which can be found by letting each of your operation work on the identity to get all different E's. Put them behind each other and let them work on the identity, and you should be done (pay attention to the order of your product of E's now, though... matrices in general do not commute)

this is probably almost directly the answer in your book, but I have a hard time reading it. If it's not, then they probably just got A to the identity in a different order of reducing. And if you paid attention closely, chances are both your answers are right.

The given matrix is
then R3<->R1 1000
then R2<->R3 1000
then R3<->R4 1000
0001 And now in REF
The answer in the book is the three matrices

0100 0001 0010
1000 0100 0100
0010 0010 1000
0001 1000 0001

I get the three matrices below because I first got the given to a row echelon form and then I reversed the row interchanges from above to get.

R3<->R4 R2<->R3 R3<->R1
1000 1000 0010
0100 0010 0100
0001 0100 1000
0010 0001 0001

Is this still correct? Thanks a lot for your help and sorry for the confusion from above. I wasn't using the LATEX properly.

you certainly have the right idea, and I'm pretty sure it's right. But if you want to be extremely sure, you can of course just multiply the matrices!

if En...E2E1(I) = A, then its not hard to see and find out!

And if you're really persistent, you can even check if the operations the book gave also add up to the identity.

Thanks for your help jacobrhcp!

The book's answer is correct, but mine is not. I need to reverse the order of my three matrices. After rearranging, I get the correct answer.

My answer should be

0010 1000 1000
0100 0010 0100
1000 0100 0001
0001 0001 0010

And then when multiplied in the above order, I get the given permutation matrix.
Thanks again for your help!

1. What is a product of elementary matrices?

The product of elementary matrices is a matrix obtained by multiplying two or more elementary matrices together. Elementary matrices are square matrices that represent elementary row operations, such as swapping rows, multiplying a row by a constant, or adding a multiple of one row to another. The product of elementary matrices can be used to perform similar row operations on a given matrix.

2. How is the product of elementary matrices calculated?

The product of elementary matrices is calculated by multiplying the matrices in the given order. For example, if A, B, and C are elementary matrices, then the product of A, B, and C is calculated as ABC. It is important to note that the order of multiplication matters, as matrix multiplication is not commutative.

3. What is the significance of the product of elementary matrices?

The product of elementary matrices is significant because it can be used to represent any invertible matrix. This means that by finding the product of a series of elementary matrices, any matrix can be transformed into an identity matrix. This is useful in solving systems of linear equations and finding the inverse of a matrix.

4. Can the product of elementary matrices be used to solve systems of linear equations?

Yes, the product of elementary matrices can be used to solve systems of linear equations. By performing row operations on the coefficient matrix of the system, the matrix can be transformed into an upper triangular matrix or an identity matrix, making it easier to solve for the variables.

5. Is the product of elementary matrices always an elementary matrix?

No, the product of elementary matrices is not always an elementary matrix. While each individual elementary matrix is an elementary matrix, the product of two or more elementary matrices may result in a non-elementary matrix. However, the product of elementary matrices will still have the same effect as an elementary matrix on a given matrix when used for row operations.