What Are the Loci of Points Satisfying Complex Inequalities in the Plane?

In summary, we want to determine the region in the complex plane that satisfies the given constraints for #16(d) and (g). For #15, we want to prove that the given equations define an equilateral triangle inscribed in the unit circle. For #16(d), the region can be described as points in the complex plane where 0 < -y < 1 and x is any real number. For #16(g), the region can be described as points in the complex plane that satisfy the inequality constraints using the polar and rectangular forms of z. For #15, we can use the equations given to show that they define an equilateral triangle inscribed in the unit circle.
saraaaahhhhhh

Homework Statement

#16)What are the loci of points z which satisfy the following relations...?

d.) 0 < Re(iz) < 1 ?

g.) α < arg(z) < β, γ < Re(z) < δ, where -π/2 < αα, β < π/2, γ > 0 ?

I'm also wondering for help with this proof:
#15)...Given:
z_1 + z_2 + z_3 = 0 and |z_1| + |z_2| + |z_3| = 1,
prove this defines an equilateral triangle inscribed in the unit circle |z| = 1. Any hints? What should I show to prove this?

Thanks!

(PS - the book is available on Google Books for those interested in seeing the original problems. They're on page 9, numbers 15/16. Book is by Silverman and called Introductory Complex Analysis.)

The Attempt at a Solution

For #15, I thought I might be able to use the inequality relations for triangles of a + b < c, or two sides are always less than the length of the third side, but that got me nowhere.
Then I thought I might be able to use arg(z_1) + arg(z_2) + arg(z_3) = pi, but I can't figure out what to do with that or how to prove it.

For #16, I just need clarification. Does 'loci of pts z which satisfy...' mean the shape that this set of points inscribes?

I just want to make sure I understand the problem. Even if I am right, though, I'm not sure how to approach these! I know that's not much of an attempt but even a hint or guideline would be helpful. z can be so many things...

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the help; I got the equilateral triangle one, but I'm still trying to figure out the other one.

How do I determine the loci of points for #16d and g?

saraaaahhhhhh said:
#15)...Given:
z_1 + z_2 + z_3 = 0 and |z_1| + |z_2| + |z_3| = 1,
prove this defines an equilateral triangle inscribed in the unit circle |z| = 1. Any hints? What should I show to prove this?
The question should read |z_1| = |z_2| = |z_3| = 1 !

saraaaahhhhhh said:
#16)What are the loci of points z which satisfy the following relations...?

d.) 0 < Re(iz) < 1 ?

g.) α < arg(z) < β, γ < Re(z) < δ, where -π/2 < αα, β < π/2, γ > 0 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

For #16, I just need clarification. Does 'loci of pts z which satisfy...' mean the shape that this set of points inscribes?
It means to describe (via a sketch and/or constraint inequations/equations of the components of z) the region in the complex plane in which points satisfy the given constraints. For example, for 16(d) we wish to describe the region in the plane in which points z satisfy 0<Re(iz)<1. Putting z = x + iy where x and y are real, you can show yourself this implies that 0 < -y < 1 (i.e., ...); and x is any real number.

Let's see your effort for (g). The first constraint can be handled by using the polar form of z and the latter using the rectangular form of z. (Note also that, for example, if alpha>-pi/2 then the first inequality additionally implies that pi/2>beta>-pi/2.)

1. What is complex analysis and why is it important?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It is important because it has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are some common techniques used to solve complex analysis problems?

Some common techniques used to solve complex analysis problems include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, Laurent series, and residue theorem.

3. How can complex analysis be applied to real-world situations?

Complex analysis has many real-world applications, such as in electrical engineering for designing circuits, in fluid dynamics for understanding the flow of fluids, and in financial mathematics for analyzing stock market trends.

4. What are some common challenges faced when solving complex analysis problems?

Some common challenges faced when solving complex analysis problems include understanding the properties of complex numbers, visualizing complex functions and their behavior, and correctly applying the various techniques and theorems.

5. Are there any resources available for practicing complex analysis problems?

Yes, there are many resources available for practicing complex analysis problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problem sets. You can also attend workshops or join study groups to get more practice and support from others.