Solve Beam with 3 Supports Problem

• Thread starter Isimanica
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, a new boss is giving a problem to a worker with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and they are in over their head. The problem is statically indeterminate and needs to be solved using moments and deflection analysis.
Isimanica

Homework Statement

Well this is the second time I have been given a problem that I just don't know what to do at work.
Simply put you have a beam that has 3 supports. A,B,C. With a weight at point w.
The goal I am told is to find all 3 points with just the the known of w (weight), L(length of beam), x (distance of point B from point A) and y (distance of weight from point A)

l-------L----------l
l---y---w
_______l_________
l------x---l--------l
A---------B-------C

Homework Equations

You got me. He said this would be easier than finding the weight of the support points on a piece of machinery.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using moments around point A and C but yeah that didn't work at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is statically indeterminate and you need to do a deflection analysis with one of the supports removed, calculate the deflection at that removed support, and reactions, then determine the force required at the removed support to give the negative of that deflection at the removed support such that the sum total of the deflection at that support is zero. Then use superposition to determine all reactions. Is this a Homework problem?

Oh no Jay this is my New boss giving me a problem to figure out and then derive a formula or solution that I can put into excel so that when we get an inquiry about load points for our Isolators that we could if need be tell them which product would best suit their needs out of our product line. This requires one to either know the weight at each of the supports which will have isolators attached or that we determine it for them if they don't know. This is just driving me batty. I got Roark's formula and a MIT guys paper that discusses this but I am in way over my head. I still got 2 and a half years of my ME degree plan to finish.

PS the little diagram is what he has drawn for me on papaer as well. so you have as much information as I have.

I'm surprised that Roark does not include a table for this application. Did you look under "Continuous Beam - Two Unequal Spans - Concentrated Load At Any Point" ?

1. What is a beam with 3 supports problem?

A beam with 3 supports problem is a common structural engineering problem where a beam is supported by 3 points, also known as supports. The goal is to determine the reactions at each support and the maximum deflection of the beam.

2. How do you solve a beam with 3 supports problem?

To solve a beam with 3 supports problem, you need to apply the principles of statics and mechanics of materials. This involves calculating the reactions at each support using the equations of static equilibrium and then using the equations of beam deflection to determine the maximum deflection of the beam.

3. What are the assumptions made when solving a beam with 3 supports problem?

When solving a beam with 3 supports problem, some common assumptions include: the beam is rigid and does not deform significantly, the supports are frictionless and do not move, and the beam is loaded only at the supports and not in between.

4. Are there any software programs available for solving beam with 3 supports problems?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can help solve beam with 3 supports problems. Some popular options include MATLAB, ANSYS, and SolidWorks. These programs use numerical methods to solve the equations and provide accurate results.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving beam with 3 supports problems?

Solving beam with 3 supports problems is an important skill for structural engineers, as beams are commonly used in construction and other industries. Some real-world applications include designing bridges, buildings, and other structures, as well as analyzing the safety and stability of existing structures.