Recursive Def/Compounding Interest question

• Thread starter rought
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interest
In summary, Mr. Howe plans to withdraw $4000 from his retirement account every month, with the balance invested at 9% annual interest compounded monthly. The account will be depleted after 185.5315 months.
rought

Homework Statement

When Mr. Howe retires at age 65 he expects to have a retirement account worth about $400,000. One month after he retires, and every month thereafter, he intends to withdraw $4000 from the account. The balance will be invested at 9% annual interest compounded monthly.

a) Let An represent the amount in the account and n months after Mr. Howe's retirement. Give a recursive definition for An

b.) When will there be no money left in the bank account?I know that the recursive formula is something like tn-1 but that's all I got =/...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rought! :smile:
rought said:
a) Let An represent the amount in the account and n months after Mr. Howe's retirement. Give a recursive definition for An

I know that the recursive formula is something like tn-1 but that's all I got =/...

A recursive formula gives tn as a function of tn-1 (and sometimes also tn-2 etc) :wink:

In this case, An = … ? :smile:

A recursive equation can be written as either [/itex]t_n[/itex]= some function of [itex]t_{n-1}[/itex] or as [itex]t_{n+1}[/itex]= some function of [itex]t_n[/itex]. Either this amount is some function of last month's or next month's amount is some function of this month's.

Since you mention [itex]t_{n-1}[/itex], let's write it that way. This month's amount, [itex]A_n[/itex] is, first, last month's, [itex]A_{n-1}[/itex], minus any money taken out (how much money does he take out each month?) plus any money put in (interest earned. How much interest does the money earn each month?).

ah ok...

so here's the equation that i got: An=An-1(1+.09/12)-4000

Is this correct? I'm not sure how to do part b now though... =/

Okay, [itex]A_n= 1.0075A_{n-1}- 4000[/itex]

A standard method for something like [itex]A_n= rA_{n-1}[/itex] is to try something like [itex]A_n= n^x[/itex] for some number. If that were true, then [itex]A_{n-1}= (n^x)^r= n^{rx}[/itex] and [itex]A_n= 1.0075A_{n-1}[/itex] becomes [itex]n^r= 1.0075 (n^{r-1})[/itex]. Dividing both sides by [itex]n^r[/itex], [itex]1= 1.0075r^{-1}[/itex] so r= 1.0075. In fact, if we were to try [itex]A_n= C(1.0075)^n[/itex], for C any constant, we would have [itex]A_n= C(1.0075)^n= 1.0075A_{n-1}= 1.0075C(1.0075)^{n-1}= C(1.0075)^n[/itex] is true for all n because the "C"s cancel. [itex]C(1.0075)^n[/itex] is the general solution to the equation [itex]A_n= 1.0075A_n[/itex].

That's ignoring the "-4000" part but since that number is a constant, what if we try [itex]A_n= A[/itex], a constant? Now [itex]A_n= 1.0075A_{n-1}- 4000[/itex] becomes A= 1.0075A- 4000 or -.0075A= 4000.

Now the "theory" part: If [itex]A_n[/itex] is the general solution to the "homogeneous" equation and A is a single solution to the entire equation, then [itex]A_n+ A[/itex] is the general solution to the entire equation.

You should now be able to write out the general solution, use the fact that [itex]A_1= 400000[/itex] to find C and then determine when [itex]A_n= 0[/itex]. (You may find that it is never 0. Just find when it is less than 1.)

Hi rought! :smile:
rought said:
ah ok...

so here's the equation that i got: An=An-1(1+.09/12)-4000

Is this correct? I'm not sure how to do part b now though... =/

Yes, that's correct, except that you must also specify the initial condition …

An=An-1(1.0075) - 4000 and A0 = 400,000. :smile:

You really need to read up about recurrence relations (for example, in the PF Library) to find the general way of solving this.

To get you started, can you see what the solution would be for the simpler:

An=An-1(1.0075) and A0 = 400,000? :wink:

ok so I did part b here's what I got

A(n) = 400,000 * 1.0075^n - 4000 * (1.0075^n - 1) / .0075 = 0
400,000 * 1.0075^n = 4000 * (1.0075^n - 1) / .0075

400,000 = 4000 * (1 - 1.0075^-n) / .0075

100 = (1 - 1.0075^-n) / .0075
1 - 1.0075^-n = .75
1.0075^-n = .25
1.0075^n = 4
n * ln(1.0075) = ln(4)
n = ln(4) / ln(1.0075)
n = 185.5315 months

does this seem right?

Last edited:

1. What is Recursive Definition?

Recursive definition is a mathematical or logical definition that defines a function or sequence by relating it to previous values of itself. It is often used to describe patterns that repeat themselves.

2. How is Recursive Definition used in Compounding Interest?

In compounding interest, recursive definition is used to calculate the total amount of money earned over multiple periods by adding the interest earned each period to the principal amount. The interest earned in each period is calculated based on the previous period's interest and the principal amount.

3. What is Compounding Interest?

Compounding interest is the process of earning interest on interest. It is different from simple interest, where only the principal amount earns interest. With compounding interest, the interest earned in each period is added to the principal amount, and the interest in the next period is calculated based on the new total amount.

4. How does Recursive Definition differ from Iterative Definition?

Recursive definition is a self-referential definition that defines a function or sequence in terms of previous values of itself. In contrast, iterative definition defines a function or sequence by using a formula or rule to calculate the next term from the previous term. Recursive definition is often used for describing patterns with repeated structures, while iterative definition is used for more straightforward patterns.

5. What are some real-life applications of Recursive Definition and Compounding Interest?

Recursive definition is commonly used in computer programming, where it allows for efficient and concise code to describe complex patterns. Compounding interest is widely used in banking and finance, where it allows for the calculation of interest on loans and investments over multiple periods.