Finding the subnormal using Descartes normal method

In summary, Descartes normal method is a mathematical technique used to find the subnormal of a curve by determining the point where the normal line intersects the x-axis. This method is important in mathematics as it allows for the calculation of curvature and is more precise than other methods. It can be applied to any differentiable curve, but may not work for curves with sharp turns or cusps.
Kak-Hazhar

Homework Statement

find the subnormal using Descartes normal method.

Homework Equations

f\left( x \right)\; =\; \frac{1}{x},\;

The Attempt at a Solution

i get an 4th degree equation in x!

however this is my first post and i really wanted to try the LateX thing. first time.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

obviously i suck at LateX

Is the function f(x) = 1/x?

How is the subnormal defined? I've never heard of it, or the Descartes normal method, either. Possibly you are using different terminology.

1. What is Descartes normal method for finding the subnormal?

Descartes normal method is a mathematical technique developed by René Descartes for finding the subnormal of a curve. It involves finding the equation of the normal line at a specific point on the curve and then using this equation to determine the point where the normal line intersects the x-axis. This point is the subnormal of the curve at that particular point.

2. Why is finding the subnormal important in mathematics?

Finding the subnormal is important in mathematics because it allows us to calculate the curvature of a curve at a specific point. This information is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus, geometry, and physics, where the curvature of a curve is a key factor in solving problems and understanding the behavior of functions.

3. How does Descartes normal method differ from other methods of finding the subnormal?

Descartes normal method differs from other methods of finding the subnormal in that it uses the concept of the normal line, which is perpendicular to the curve at a given point. This method is more precise and accurate than other methods, such as using a tangent line, which only touches the curve at one point.

4. Can Descartes normal method be applied to any type of curve?

Yes, Descartes normal method can be applied to any type of curve, as long as the curve is differentiable at the point where the subnormal is being calculated. This means that the curve must have a well-defined tangent line at that point.

5. Are there any limitations to using Descartes normal method for finding the subnormal?

One limitation of Descartes normal method is that it can only be applied to curves that are differentiable at the point of interest. Additionally, this method may not work for curves with sharp turns or cusps, as the normal line may not exist or may not be well-defined at those points.