Calculating Initial Velocity in Vertical Projectile Motion

In summary, a mountain climber stands at the top of a 50m cliff and throws two stones vertically, one after the other. Both stones reach the water simultaneously after a while. The first stone was thrown at an initial speed of 2m/s. To find the initial speed of the second stone, the equation Vf^2=Vi^2 + ay is used, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and y is the distance the stone falls. By solving for Vf, it is found that the second stone was thrown at an initial speed of 5.6m/s. However, this does not account for the one-second difference in release
GrandMaster87

Homework Statement

A mountain climber stands at the top of a 50m cliff that overhangs a calm pool. She throws two stones vertically download 1s apart and observe that the two stones reach the water simultaneously after a while. The first stone was thrown at an initial speed of 2m[tex]^{-1}[/tex].s

Calculate the initial speed at which she threw the second stone. Ignore the effects of friction

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Vf[tex]^{2}[/tex]=V[tex]_{i}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] + a[tex]\Delta[/tex]y
=2(2)[tex]^{2}[/tex]=2(9.8)(50)=31.37
Vf=5.6m.s[tex]^{-1}[/tex]

V[tex]_{f}[/tex]=v[tex]_{i}[/tex]+at
5.6=2+9.8t
t=0.367...
t=0.37s

I am not sure if I am right...because now i have to -1 second from the t above hence giving me a negative second to enter in a formula to find the initial velocity of the stone...

Can someone help me...the model answer gives me an anser of 15.2m/s downwards...how can that be? surely it is wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Find how long it takes the first rock to reach the water, that also will let you easily find the time the second rock was in the air. Then just solve for Vo.

i did an i get 0.37s...and if the the second stone was released 1 s later then how can that be?

What is Vertical Projectile Motion?

Vertical Projectile Motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and moves only under the force of gravity. It follows a parabolic path and its velocity changes only in the vertical direction.

What are the key factors that affect Vertical Projectile Motion?

The key factors that affect Vertical Projectile Motion are the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the path, height, and range of the object.

How is the initial velocity related to the maximum height and range of the projectile?

The initial velocity is directly related to the maximum height and range of the projectile. The higher the initial velocity, the higher the maximum height and the longer the range of the projectile. This is because a higher initial velocity results in a greater vertical and horizontal displacement.

What is the difference between Horizontal and Vertical Projectile Motion?

The main difference between Horizontal and Vertical Projectile Motion is the direction of the initial velocity. In Horizontal Projectile Motion, the initial velocity is completely horizontal and the object moves only in the horizontal direction. In Vertical Projectile Motion, the initial velocity has both horizontal and vertical components, and the object moves in both the horizontal and vertical directions.

How can the equations of motion be used to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of a projectile at any given time?

The equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, can be used to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of a projectile at any given time. By plugging in the known values for initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time, the equations can be solved to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the projectile at a specific time during its motion.