Freshman in an electronic engineering program

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of C and C++ in electronic engineering, with the person seeking advice on whether to learn C or C++ for their program. It is mentioned that while C++ is a superset of C, some hardware can only be programmed using C. The recommendation is to use the textbook "The C Programming Language" by K&R to learn C. It is also suggested that C++ can be picked up later on if needed.
exis
Hi,

I'm a freshman in an electronic engineering program in university. Throughout the course we're supposed to learn how to program using C. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to learn C++ on my own instead. From what I gather, C++ is a superset of C however I've also been told that some hardware can strictly be programmed only using C. Is this true? If yes, are there any C ebooks/books that you suggest I use to learn C?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org

exis said:
Hi,

I'm a freshman in an electronic engineering program in university. Throughout the course we're supposed to learn how to program using C. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to learn C++ on my own instead. From what I gather, C++ is a superset of C however I've also been told that some hardware can strictly be programmed only using C. Is this true? If yes, are there any C ebooks/books that you suggest I use to learn C?

Thanks in advance

I use C a lot for embedded system real-time programming. C++ would probably work as well, but the embedded systems I work with use a real-time extension of C, so C++ is not an option.

The standard textbook for C is K&R. The first edition left a lot to be desired, but the current edition is very complete and userul, IMO:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131103628/?tag=pfamazon01-20

C it is then... Thanks for replying berkeman

C and C++ are similar, it might be useful to pick up C++ later on.

1. What is an electronic engineering program?

An electronic engineering program is a program of study that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of electronic systems, devices, and circuits. It combines principles from mathematics, physics, and computer science to create and improve electronic devices.

2. What are the requirements to enroll in a freshman electronic engineering program?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the university or college, but in general, students are expected to have a strong background in math and science, particularly in physics and calculus. They may also need to have taken courses in computer science and programming, as well as have a solid understanding of basic electrical circuits and components.

3. What kind of career opportunities are available for graduates of an electronic engineering program?

Graduates of an electronic engineering program have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can work in industries such as telecommunications, computer hardware and software, aerospace, and defense. They may also work in research and development, designing new technologies and improving existing ones.

4. How is an electronic engineering program different from a computer engineering program?

An electronic engineering program focuses primarily on the design and development of electronic systems, devices, and circuits, while a computer engineering program combines principles of electronic engineering and computer science to design and develop computer hardware and software. In other words, electronic engineering is more hardware-based, while computer engineering is more software-based.

5. What skills and qualities are important for success in an electronic engineering program?

Strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and analytical thinking are important for success in an electronic engineering program. Additionally, creativity, curiosity, and a passion for technology are also beneficial. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as electronic engineering projects often involve collaboration with others.