Windows Bookmark Icon: Why Does It Change?

• Thread starter Janitor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, the conversation discusses the changing icon for a Physics Forum bookmark and the use of different browsers such as IE and Firefox. Some potential downsides of using Firefox are mentioned, such as compatibility issues with certain websites and the inability to remove IE. The generic vBulletin icon is identified as the actual icon for the bookmark and it is noted that most browsers do not save site icons on disk. The conversation also touches on the differences in bookmark icon retention between IE and Firefox.
Janitor
Science Advisor
Sometimes the bookmark for this Physics Forum has a square root icon that shows up in my Favorites list. But other times the icon is generic looking, like most of the other icons in my Favorites. What makes it change?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thanks. I am using IE. Do you know of any downside to Firefox?

Some online banking sites only work with IE. I personally haven't had any trouble with this, but it is a problem to some. Also Windows updates only works with IE. But this isn't such a big deal since you can't get rid of IE anyway. Just run IE when you need to update windows.

Alright then!

The icon is actually the generic vBulletin icon. It's not a square root, it's a vee.

Also, most browsers don't save the site icons on disk -- the first time you look at the site, its icon will be downloaded and stored for that session. The next time you start the browser up, though, it'll be gone again. I think Firefox does this too.

- Warren

Vee, okay. But I will say it is a vee with an extra bar sticking out to the left from the left prong of the vee, and with the right prong being taller than the left prong.

I've bookmarked many sites in firefox that have the the little icon and it always keeps the picture in the bookmarks folder

With IE, my fancier bookmark icons eventually turn into lower case "e"s until I clear things out and start over.

1. Why does the Windows bookmark icon change?

The Windows bookmark icon changes as a way to indicate that a webpage has been bookmarked or saved as a favorite. This change helps users easily identify which pages they have saved for future reference.

2. Can I choose which icon is used for bookmarks in Windows?

Unfortunately, the bookmark icon used in Windows is not customizable. It is a default icon set by the browser or operating system. However, some browsers may allow you to change the bookmark icon within their settings.

3. Does the bookmark icon change for all browsers in Windows?

No, the bookmark icon may vary depending on the browser you are using. Each browser has its own default bookmark icon, so it may not be consistent across all browsers in Windows.

4. How do I know if a webpage has been bookmarked in Windows?

The bookmark icon will typically change to indicate that a webpage has been bookmarked. You may also see a star or a heart icon next to the bookmarked page in your bookmarks/favorites list.

5. Can I revert the bookmark icon back to its original state?

Yes, if you have mistakenly bookmarked a page or no longer want it saved as a favorite, you can simply remove it from your bookmarks/favorites list. This will revert the bookmark icon back to its original state.