Work done by friction on an inclined plane

In summary, the worker exerts a force of 85N, which causes the crate to travel a distance of 4 meters. The contact force between the crate and the worker is balanced by the force of gravity, so there is no work done by friction.
imatreyu

Homework Statement

A worker pushes a crate weighing 93 N up an inclined plane. The worker pushes the crate horizontally, parallel to the ground.
a. The worker exerts a force of 85 N, how much work does he do? (A: 340 J)
b. How much work is done by gravity? (A: -280 J)
c. The coefficient of friction is 0.20. How much work is done by friction?

Homework Equations

W=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

W=Fd
W= (mu*Fnormal)d

I'm completely stuck, as I don't know how to find the normal force!

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume there is a diagram with additional data?

Oh! Sorry, well the inclined plane forms a right triangle: 3 meters tall, 4 meters long, 5 meter hypotenuse. .

But that's the only additional data.

imatreyu said:
Oh! Sorry, well the inclined plane forms a right triangle: 3 meters tall, 4 meters long, 5 meter hypotenuse. .

But that's the only additional data.
Thats all the extra data you need!
Part a) Whats the distance traveled by the crate along the direction of the worker's 85N force?
Part b) Whats the distance traveled by the crate along the direction of gravity?
Part c) Whats the distance traveled by the crate along the direction of friction?
All these numbers come from that very important inclined plane!

I'm confused?
How will the distance help in finding the amount of work done by friction?

Apparently, it's supposed to be done as such:

W= (mu*Fn)*d
W= mu (Fyou + Fg)d

I guess I should have been more clear. Specifically, I don't understand how (Fyou +Fg) equates to Fn. (Sorry about the confusion!)

The force that the worker exerts on the crate can be resolved into two components: along the slope and perpendicular to the slope. Similarly, the gravitational force on the crate can be resolved into two such components as well.
Analysing the crate in the direction perpendicular to the slope, we thus see that for the crate to remain in equilibrium in that direction, the normal contact force on the crate must balance out the components of the worker's force and gravity in that direction).

Ahh~!
Thank you so much! !
That made it really clear-- I get it now!

What is work done by friction on an inclined plane?

The work done by friction on an inclined plane is the energy that is expended when an object is moved along an inclined plane due to the force of friction acting against the motion. This work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the frictional force by the displacement of the object along the inclined plane.

What factors affect the work done by friction on an inclined plane?

The work done by friction on an inclined plane is affected by several factors, including the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface of the inclined plane, the angle of incline of the plane, and the mass of the object being moved. The frictional force itself is also dependent on the normal force acting on the object and the coefficient of friction.

How does the angle of incline affect the work done by friction on an inclined plane?

The angle of incline has a significant impact on the work done by friction on an inclined plane. As the angle of incline increases, the work done by friction also increases because the force of friction acting against the motion is greater. This means that more energy is required to move an object along a steeper incline.

What is the relationship between the work done by friction and the displacement of the object on an inclined plane?

The work done by friction on an inclined plane is directly proportional to the displacement of the object. This means that as the object is moved a greater distance along the inclined plane, the work done by friction also increases. This relationship is described by the equation W = Ff * d, where W is the work done by friction, Ff is the frictional force, and d is the displacement.

How is the work done by friction on an inclined plane calculated?

The work done by friction on an inclined plane is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the frictional force by the displacement of the object. The frictional force can be calculated using the formula Ff = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force acting on the object. The displacement of the object can be measured directly or calculated using trigonometric functions depending on the angle of incline.