Functional Derivative: Computing the d'Alembert Solution

In summary, the functional derivative with respect to a real scalar field \phi(x) : - involves the d'Alembert operator given by \partial_{tt}-\partial_{xx}-\partial_{yy}-\partial_{zz} - can be evaluated using partial integration - the volume integrals that appear due to partial integration can be computed using the variation of the argument of the exponent.
parton
In the literature (Ryder, path-integrals) I have found the following relation for the functional derivative with respect to a real scalar field [tex] \phi(x) [/tex]:

[tex] i \dfrac{\delta}{\delta \phi(x)} e^{-i \int \mathrm{d}^{4} x \frac{1}{2} \phi(x) ( \square + m^2 ) \phi(x)} = ( \square + m^2 ) \phi(x) e^{-i \int \mathrm{d}^{4} x \frac{1}{2} \phi(x) ( \square + m^2 ) \phi(x)}[/tex]

But how do I compute this? I am just confused about this d'Alembert operator [tex] \square [/tex] and I never end up with the right solution as above.

Could anybody explain how to obtain this solution, please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you show us your steps until the point where the d'Alembert operator is causing problems.

Using the Minkowski metric (+---) (c=1) the d'Alembert operator is given by [itex]\partial_{tt}-\partial_{xx}-\partial_{yy}-\partial_{zz}[/itex]. With this you can evaluate the integral [itex]\int d^4 x \; \phi(x) \square \delta \phi(x)[/itex] using partial integration. What do you know about the volume integrals that appear due to partial integration? Try it for [itex]\int d^4x \; \phi(x) \partial_{xx} \phi(x)[/itex]. The other terms work exactly the same.

Ok, my problem is the following. If I consider

[tex] i \dfrac{\delta}{\delta \phi(x)} e^{-i \int \mathrm{d}^{4} x \frac{1}{2} \phi(x) m^2 \phi(x)} [/tex]

I could write the exponent as [tex] -i \int \mathrm{d}^{4} x \frac{1}{2} m \phi^{2} [/tex] and use some kind of product rule and obtain:

[tex] i \dfrac{\delta}{\delta \phi(x)} e^{-i \int \mathrm{d}^{4} x \frac{1}{2} \phi(x) m^2 \phi(x)} = m^2 \phi(x) e^{-i \int \mathrm{d}^{4} x \frac{1}{2} \phi(x) m^2 \phi(x)} [/tex]

Ok, that seems to be correct, but now I if want to compute

[tex] i \dfrac{\delta}{\delta \phi(x)} e^{-i \int \mathrm{d}^{4} x \frac{1}{2} \phi(x) \square \phi(x)} [/tex]

I can not rewrite the exponent in such a form like above and otherwise I don't really know how to build the derivative.

I just differentiated the first [tex] \phi(x) [/tex] and obtained

[tex] = \dfrac{1}{2} \square \phi(x) e^{-i \int \mathrm{d}^{4} x \frac{1}{2} \phi(x) \square \phi(x)} [/tex]

where I have a factor 1/2 which is wrong, but I don't know how to derive this correctly.

You have treated [itex] \square \phi(x) [/itex] as a constant now, but it is not a constant.

Take the variation of the argument of the exponent.

[tex] \delta \int d^4x \; \phi(x) \square \phi(x) = \int d^4x \; \left[ \delta \phi(x) \square \phi(x) +\phi(x) \square \delta \phi(x) \right] [/tex]

Now integrate the second term by parts.

Ok, I integrated the second term by parts (2 times) and finally obtained the correct result.

Thanks a lot for your help :smile:

1. What is a functional derivative?

A functional derivative is a mathematical concept used in the field of mathematical analysis to calculate the rate of change of a functional with respect to its input function. It is analogous to the ordinary derivative used in calculus for functions of real variables.

2. How is a functional derivative computed?

To compute a functional derivative, the input function is varied by a small amount and the resulting change in the output of the functional is calculated. This change is then divided by the amount of variation in the input function to obtain the functional derivative.

3. What is the d'Alembert solution?

The d'Alembert solution is a mathematical concept used in the field of partial differential equations to find a solution that satisfies both the equation and its initial conditions. It is named after French mathematician Jean le Rond d'Alembert.

4. How is the functional derivative related to the d'Alembert solution?

The functional derivative is used to find the d'Alembert solution for a given partial differential equation. By computing the functional derivative of the equation, one can find the function that satisfies the equation and its initial conditions, thus obtaining the d'Alembert solution.

5. What are some applications of the functional derivative?

The functional derivative has various applications in mathematics and physics, particularly in the fields of optimization, variational calculus, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in engineering for solving problems involving differential equations.