Flame temperature based on colour

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of determining the temperature of a flame based on its color. While there are general classifications for certain colors, there are more accurate methods that involve measuring wavelengths and fitting them to a continuum distribution. However, it is noted that this method can be affected by emission lines, such as adding a sodium salt to a blue flame causing it to turn yellow.
richard_z
So I've been wondering, is it possible to determine how hot a flame is based on the colour? I know that you can classify it into general groups (yellow ~= 1000*C, etc.), but is there any way to get a more accurate temperature estimation? Any papers on this?

Science news on Phys.org
You'd need a device to very accurately measure the wavelengths, but I can't think of anything stopping you.

However I feel like there are more accurate and easy ways to measure temperature. Generally speaking I think it's more common to use color to analyze temperature distributions of a specific object.

I think you need to be more quantitative - i.e. measuring the continuum wavelength distribution and fitting it. Otherwise you can be fooled by emission lines - put a tiny bit of a sodium salt in a blue flame and it turns yellow.

1. What causes the color of a flame to change?

The color of a flame is determined by the temperature of the burning material and the chemicals present in the flame. Different chemicals emit different colors when they are heated, causing the flame to change color.

2. How does the temperature of a flame affect its color?

The temperature of a flame directly affects its color. The higher the temperature, the shorter the wavelength of light emitted, resulting in a bluer flame. Lower temperatures produce longer wavelengths, resulting in a redder flame.

3. What is the hottest color of a flame?

The hottest color of a flame is blue, which has the shortest wavelength and therefore the highest energy. Blue flames can reach temperatures of up to 2,000 degrees Celsius.

4. Can the color of a flame be used to determine its temperature?

Yes, the color of a flame can be used to estimate its temperature. However, other factors such as the chemicals present in the flame and the surrounding environment can also affect the color. Therefore, it is not always an accurate method of measuring temperature.

5. Why do some flames have multiple colors?

Flames can appear to have multiple colors due to the presence of different chemicals burning at different temperatures. For example, a candle flame may have a blue base and a yellow tip, indicating different temperatures within the flame. Additionally, the surrounding environment and air flow can also affect the appearance of a flame.