Smoking Cigarettes - Is It Worse to Smoke Half a Cigarette?

• Thread starter tumor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses smoking and its harmful effects. The speakers share their experiences and opinions on the matter, with one person mentioning that they have started smoking only half a cigarette at a time to save money. However, it is mentioned that smoking even a small amount can still be harmful due to increased levels of tar and nicotine. The conversation also touches on the addiction to smoking and the high cost of cigarettes. Some speakers mention research that suggests nicotine can prevent certain diseases, but others mention that there are conflicting studies on the topic. The conversation ends with a discussion on alternative options for getting nicotine, such as nicotine patches, and a question about the supposed safety of cannabis smoking compared to tobacco. The summary concludes that the conversation highlights the harmful effects
tumor
I smoke cigarettes and lately I started smoking only half of cigarette and saving the other half for later.I know I know smoking kills ,my question; is it worst to do so or does not matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
tumor said:
I smoke cigarettes and lately I started smoking only half of cigarette and saving the other half for later.I know I know smoking kills ,my question; is it worst to do so or does not matter?
The remaining portion of the cigarette will have increased levels of tar, nicotine & other toxins. It is better to throw it away and light up a new one. Of course it's better not to light up at all, but it sounds like you already know that.

I'm glad that I never got into smoking.

well my obvious answer would be its just the amount of smoke you inhale (which will do you the damage of course) the worse it is for you. There will be some slight tecnical faults with smoking less, more often, more nicotine etc will diffuse across because the diffusion gradient will be less but i don't think that's worth worrying about.

I believe tumor&myself have the same habit..
My jacket never smells delightful when I've had a stub in it for some time
(I wonder why)

arildno said:
I believe tumor&myself have the same habit..
My jacket never smells delightful when I've had a stub in it for some time
(I wonder why)

That's bacause you know you have a half a smoke in there and you desperately want it. Soon the desperation turns to a frantic frenzy...and by then you're sweating like a pig. You can't think straight - you're a fidgety wreck, you're clothes soaked in your perspiration.

Is it any wonder then, that they don't smell like a dozen roses after this ?

Before I started doing this, I smoked half of the cigarette but now cash problems forced me to do this.F***** smokes are so expensive here!But I need my nicotine fix :cry:
PS. now some researchers say that nicotine can prevent MS ,Parkinsons.

tumor said:
PS. now some researchers say that nicotine can prevent MS ,Parkinsons.

This doesn't sound plausible to me. Can you provide a link?

Tumor, I'll tell you what I told my kids. It's never a good idea to put something that is on fire in your mouth.

They listened.

tumor, although I've never smoked, I've known smokers and I think I can understand the addiction to it.

My best friends dad just died of lung cancer. Even though he quit smoking 20 years ago, there was already enough damage to his lungs.

Evo said:
My best friends dad just died of lung cancer. Even though he quit smoking 20 years ago, there was already enough damage to his lungs.

Not all cases of lung cancer are caused by smoking, how about car fumes,when riding my bicycle around the town sometimes I get light headed from all the fumes from those damn cars.Who needs SUV's or Vans in the city by the way?

One day I quit for sure,when one pack of cigarettes gona cost 15$

This doesn't sound plausible to me. Can you provide a link?

http://www.reutershealth.com/wellconnected/doc51.html

The Effect of Cigarettes and Coffee on Parkinson's Disease
Smoking. Cigarette smokers appear to have a lower risk for Parkinson's disease, indicating some protection by nicotine. This finding, of course, is no excuse to smoke, but such protection may help researchers develop new therapies.

Coffee Consumption. In a 30-year 2000 study of Japanese-American men, coffee consumption was associated with a lower risk for Parkinson's disease and the more coffee they drank, the lower their risk became. Caffeine, which is a known central nervous system stimulant, appears to be the protective factor. The study did not prove that coffee actually protects against Parkinson's, however, and further research is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
are cigars 'better' than cigarets?
and by the way my family (almost all smokers) have lived well into there 90's. except the odd one or to lost in war. Oh there was a great aunt who froze to death which I suppose could be caused by smoking. as she had gone out for a smoke! but I'm not sure on that fact as I wasn't there at the time. :cool:

tumor said:
But I need my nicotine fix

If cigarettes are so expensive, and you know that they're unhealthy, why not try nicotine patches?

are cigars 'better' than cigarets?

Well, ideally, you're not suppose to inhale cigar smoke. So you have less of a chance of getting as many diseases as a cigarette would give. However, it still has been known to cause diseases in the mouth.

As for cigarettes helping parkinson's disease, keep in mind that there are researchers who deny this. I remember reading an article written by UK scientists claiming that their research showed that it had no effect on parkinson's.

If cigarettes are so expensive, and you know that they're unhealthy, why not try nicotine patches?

Nicotine patches are also pricey.

I heard somewhere that cannabis smoking is less dangerous than tobacco. Do you know if this comes from the junky-lobby or if this true ?

humanino said:
I heard somewhere that cannabis smoking is less dangerous than tobacco. Do you know if this comes from the junky-lobby or if this true ?

Cannabis Smoking More Harmful Than tobacco

Smoking pure marijuana is at least as harmful to lungs as smoking tobacco, a report from the British Lung Foundation concludes. And in some key ways, it may be more dangerous.

For example, the BLF's review of previous research highlights that just three marijuana joints a day causes the same damage to the lung's airways as 20 cigarettes, mainly because of the way joints are smoked.

Individually, cannabis and tobacco produce the same constituents and quantities of chemicals known to be toxic to respiratory tissue, other than nicotine, the report says. But when cannabis and tobacco are smoked together, the health effects are worse.

Last edited:
I've never understood why people start smoking. I understand the addiction process, so I know why it's so hard to quit, but why ever put that first cigarette into your mouth? If you want to inhale smoke, become a firefighter. That's the thing I find so incredibly bizarre about smoking. Everyone accepts that smoke inhalation is a bad thing when talking about a burning building, so why would anyone intentionally inhale smoke, especially smoke with addictive properties?

Try it before you knock it . :wink: :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
Try it before you knock it . :wink: :biggrin:
I've tried them. :yuck:

People don't smoke because they like it. People smoke 'cause it makes them look cool! :tongue2:

check said:
People don't smoke because they like it. People smoke 'cause it makes them look cool! :tongue2:

See, now that's the only explanation ever given. Sure, in the 1960s it might have seemed cool, but don't people now realize it's just a disgusting habit? Are there people who really still think it's a cool thing? I just always thought it was gross, even as a teenager. It smelled bad, made your teeth yellow, made you smell bad, made people look old faster with all those extra wrinkles on their face from sucking in cigarettes and from the effects of the cigarettes on the skin, and makes people cough up nasty crap. What about this ever seemed cool to anyone? :yuck:

but don't people now realize it's just a disgusting habit?

Not when you see stars in movies smoking...

Cool is all prespective. If people think slowly killing themselves is cools, then let them think that.

Dagenais said:
If people think slowly killing themselves is cools, then let them think that.

Just as long as they keep their second-hand smoke away from me! That's actually my biggest complaint about smoking. Unlike other vices where you usually are only hurting yourself, at least physically, smoking forces your vice upon everyone around you. I hate when I have to walk through a cloud of smoke from all the people puffing away near the doors of smoke-free buildings in order to get inside.

My step-father smoked before he married my mom (she refused to marry him until he quit, so he quit the day he proposed). He used to think I was nuts that I refused to go into restaurants that didn't have a non-smoking section far enough from the smoking section that I didn't smell the smoke, or that I'd complain of the stink on his clothing. He didn't even think you could smell it that long or that far away. Now that he's been a non-smoker for about 20 years, he's just like me. He always chooses the non-smoking section and can't stand places filled with smoke. Now he's the first one to want to hit the shower when he's been somewhere that someone was smoking. So, there's hope for you smokers out there. If my step-father could quit, anyone can quit!

So, there's hope for you smokers out there. If my step-father could quit, anyone can quit!

A lot of these smokers don't want to quit.

I really have a hard time believing that quitting smoking cigarettes is as difficult as those public announcement commercials say it is. My grandfather quit smoking during the days when filters were non-existant, and there was no such things as nicotenne patches for him. Another relative of mine smoked for decades, but decided to quit because it was an expensive and inconvient habit, with no help at all.

Just as long as they keep their second-hand smoke away from me! That's actually my biggest complaint about smoking.

My biggest complaint about smoking are those annoying anti-smoking commercials from companies like The Truth. They constantly remind us that smoking causes cancer, like we don't know that. What annoys me more are there protests - trying to run the companies out of business. Unless TRUTH is going to compensate the employees that lose their jobs from cigarette companies, their members should find new hobbies.

Not really related to cigarettes and smoking, but I just had to rant about that...

I hate when I have to walk through a cloud of smoke from all the people puffing away near the doors of smoke-free buildings in order to get inside.

Hold your breathe. I've heard of people doing that everytime they are near smokers.

ow that he's been a non-smoker for about 20 years, he's just like me. He always chooses the non-smoking section and can't stand places filled with smoke.

You should ask the owner/manager why the building isn't completely non-smoking.

Dagenais said:
A lot of these smokers don't want to quit.

I really have a hard time believing that quitting smoking cigarettes is as difficult as those public announcement commercials say it is. My grandfather quit smoking during the days when filters were non-existant, and there was no such things as nicotenne patches for him. Another relative of mine smoked for decades, but decided to quit because it was an expensive and inconvient habit, with no help at all.

I agree there are people who just don't want to quit, or only half-heartedly so. However, it really isn't that easy to kick the habit. My step-dad went cold turkey, but even after watching his first wife die of lung cancer, it wasn't without a very supportive second wife and step-daughters that he managed to do it. It was probably at least a year before he stopped getting frequent cravings. If he was around anyone else smoking, he'd admit to trying to lean in and get a good whiff. Addiction really does change your brain and it takes a lot to overcome it. But, really, I think the weaning off with nicotine patches bit actually just makes it worse, but that's just opinion. I've only seen quitting cold-turkey actually work for anyone. As long as you're getting nicotine into your system, you're not really kicking the addiction, just switching forms.

My biggest complaint about smoking are those annoying anti-smoking commercials from companies like The Truth. They constantly remind us that smoking causes cancer, like we don't know that. What annoys me more are there protests - trying to run the companies out of business. Unless TRUTH is going to compensate the employees that lose their jobs from cigarette companies, their members should find new hobbies.

Not really related to cigarettes and smoking, but I just had to rant about that...

I've thought about that too. It's not an easy solution. The tobacco industry really puts food on a lot of people's tables. And, I agree, those ads aren't going to get anyone to quit or not start, they're too annoying. I wonder what would happen to the economy if smoking were made illegal or everyone finally managed to quit?

Hold your breathe. I've heard of people doing that everytime they are near smokers.

Actually, I do that, but the smell still gets on your clothes and in your hair.

You should ask the owner/manager why the building isn't completely non-smoking.

That's not required in most places in the US yet. I can hope...city by city it seems to be changing. It's better than it used to be though. I think a lot more restaurant owners are sensitive to their non-smoking customers' comfort now, so have actual walls between smoking and non-smoking sections. It's been a while since I've been anyplace where just some half wall or imaginary line divides the two sections.

My dad smoked until just after college, and then he quit. I gave it a shot long ago, didn't think it was all that it was touted to be, and that was that. But even now, several years after I first experimented with cigarettes (yeah right), I feel an occasional (like once a year, seriously) urge (nothing strong; so half the time, I ignore it) to have a smoke...just kinda out of the blue.

I don't know anyone else that falls under this category - the once-every-couple-of-years smoker .

The father of a friend from college died from throat and lung cancer; a heavy smoker. Gordon told me that just before his father died he was smoking through his tracheotomy tube.

My mother, a smoker, nursed her mother, also a smoker, through lung cancer until she died - three days after Tsu and I got married. My mother still smokes.

I would say it's tough to quit.

On the up side, we heard a report last night that coffee and cigarette use reduces the risk of getting Parkinsons disease.

amwbonfire said:

You know, I have tried patches($$$) but still could not make it without real thing.
I have this far out theory, because nicotine stimulates nervous system and I have Epilepsy, maybe what I do is self medicating my self?
Just like animals in wild when sick, to get better they eat unconciously specific plants (herbs).

One of Tsu's uncles swears by a smoking cessation program that he went through.

My mother was a three pack a day smoker when she quit cold turkey because she was concerned about the health issues. This was during WWII.

I think the ability to quit depends on your desire to quit, what "type" of person you are, (some people have dependent personalities and some don't), stress in your life, it will be much harder to quit a habit if you are under stress.

My personal rant - smoking in restaurants should not be permitted...period. Smoking is something that affects everyone in the surrounding area. Taste is GREATLY affected by smell. How can I taste my food if all I can smell is cigarette smoke? If a person can't control themself and not smoke for the time it takes to eat a meal, they need to be shot. :smile:

Ok, I'm not serious about shooting them. My point is, they have no right to destroy the environment for the people around them for a personal vice.

Last edited:
You should have been a Californian. I think you have to register with the local police as a PC offender if you smoke there. :biggrin:

Evo said:
If a person can't control themself and not smoke for the time it takes to eat a meal, they need to be shot. :smile:

:rofl: :rofl: That was priceless ! :rofl: :rofl:

I don't mind if people smoke, as long as they understand how they affect other people. In their home, I have no say. But if I am paying for food, I have a right to taste it and not their smoke. I know smokers who are extremely considerate and realize this and act accordingly.

Evo said:
Ok, I'm not serious about shooting them. My point is, they have no right to destroy the environment for the people around them for a personal vice.

Evo; but what you say about car fumes, I think fumes are killing many more people than smoking ever does.

Evo; but what you say about car fumes, I think fumes are killing many more people than smoking ever does.

Tobacco is the cause of 1 out of 5 deaths. I don't have the exact statistics, but I don't think car fumes kill more people than smoking.

Also, smoking is a needless and deadly habit. Though driving can be deadly, it is certainly needed.

I agree we need automobles, but not those huge vans,pick -ups or suv's.
Regarding tobbaco,we can blame N.S American Indians for giving Europeans peace pipes to smoke.. :wink: