Angles between 2 points along a varied path

In summary, you can use numerical methods like Newton's Method to solve for the unknown angle f in your problem involving Snell's Law and refraction of light.
Ralajer
I am writing a program that uses Snell's Law for refraction of light through two interfaces and I've encountered a problem representing the geometry symbolically. I could determine the values numerically but I don't want the overhead as it would have to be called up to 1E7 times.

The generalized diagram below shows the known values in green and the unknown in red. These are the equations that I am working with:

[*]B=tan(d)*D + tan(e)*E + tan(f)*F
and from Snell's Law the relationship between angles d, e, and f.
  • sin(f)*nF = sin(e)*nE
  • sin(e)*nE = sin(f)*nD

where all the refraction indices nx's are known
In an attempt to solve for one of the angles f in this case I get the following:
f=-atan(1/F*(E*tan(asin(nF*sin(f)/nE))-A+D*tan(asin(nF*sin(f)/nD))))
I cannot solve for f explicitly. Is there something that I am missing in my analysis of the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

[PLAIN]http://www.wtrresources.com/img/Refraction_Problem_Diagram.jpg
http://www.wtrresources.com/img/Diagram.png"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
One possible way to solve your problem is to use a numerical method such as Newton's Method. This method involves iteratively solving for the unknown angle f until it converges to the true solution. The idea is that you start off with an initial guess for the value of f, and then use the equation to calculate a new guess for the value based on the previous guess. You repeat this process until the difference between successive guesses is small enough that you can consider them to be equal. This technique is often used to solve equations that cannot be solved analytically.

What is the definition of "Angles between 2 points along a varied path"?

The angles between 2 points along a varied path refer to the measurement of the angle formed by two intersecting lines or paths at a specific point, where the paths are not straight and may curve or change direction.

How do you calculate the angles between 2 points along a varied path?

To calculate the angles between 2 points along a varied path, you can use the trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions can help you determine the lengths of the sides of the triangle formed by the two paths and the distance between the points, which can then be used to calculate the angle using the inverse trigonometric functions.

Why is it important to calculate the angles between 2 points along a varied path?

Calculating the angles between 2 points along a varied path can help us understand the geometry and curvature of a path. It can also be useful in various fields such as navigation, engineering, and physics, where accurate measurements of angles are necessary for calculations and designs.

What factors can affect the angles between 2 points along a varied path?

The angles between 2 points along a varied path can be affected by the shape of the paths, the distance between the points, and any obstacles or curves in the path. Other factors such as elevation, slope, and curvature of the surface can also impact the angles.

Can the angles between 2 points along a varied path be negative?

No, the angles between 2 points along a varied path cannot be negative. They are always measured as positive values, and any negative result would indicate an error in calculation or measurement.