Parity - Particle In A Box (Infinite Potential)

Therefore, the wavefunction for n = 0 is not physically meaningful and is usually ignored.In summary, for a particle in a box between -a/2 and a/2, the wavefunction can be expressed as \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{a}) for even values of n and \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}cos(\frac{n\pi x}{a}) for odd values of n. This is due to the fact that n must be positive for the energy eigenfunctions to have physical meaning. The wavefunction for n = 0 is typically ignored due to it being the lowest possible energy state.
catinabox
I am trying to work out the wavefunctions for a particle in a box between -a/2 and a/2.I have already gone through the solution for a box between 0 and a and got the solution [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{a} )[/tex]So I can see that for -a/2 to a/2 I have [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin(\frac{n\pi(x+\frac{a}{2})}{a})[/tex]Which by some trig leads to [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{a})cos(\frac{n\pi}{2})+\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}cos(\frac{n\pi x}{a})sin(\frac{n\pi}{2})[/tex]Now i can see it differs for even and odd n as for even n [tex]sin(\frac{n\pi}{2})=0[/tex] for odd n [tex]cos(\frac{n\pi}{2})=0[/tex].

(NOT SURE WHATS HAPPENED WITH LATEX HERE :()Therefore even n leads to [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{a})cos(\frac{n\pi}{2})[/tex] odd n leads to [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}cos(\frac{n\pi x}{a})sin(\frac{n\pi}{2})[/tex]From research I have found that the wavefunction for n even is in fact just [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{a})[/tex] and odd n just [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}cos(\frac{n\pi x}{a})[/tex]This is were I am confused because the [tex]cos(\frac{n\pi}{2})[/tex] for even n is positive or negative 1 and [tex]sin(\frac{n\pi}{2})[/tex] for odd n is positive or negative 1.Why is only the positive chosen, is this to do with normalistion?Any help is much appreciated.Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
n only has physical meaning for positive values because if you evaluate the energy eigenfunctions, you find that

[tex]E_n = \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2ma^2}[/tex]

Mathematically, at least, it is unnecessary for n to be less than 0. Going by this equation, E0 is by definition the lowest possible energy state, or ground state.

1. What is the concept of parity in the context of a particle in a box with infinite potential?

Parity refers to the symmetry of a system under inversion, meaning that if the coordinates of all particles are inverted, the system remains unchanged. In the case of a particle in a box with infinite potential, parity is used to describe the behavior of the particle when it is reflected across the center of the box.

2. How is the parity of a particle in a box with infinite potential determined?

The parity of a particle in a box with infinite potential is determined by the quantum number n, which represents the energy level of the particle. If n is an odd number, the particle has odd parity, and if n is an even number, the particle has even parity.

3. What is the significance of parity in the context of a particle in a box with infinite potential?

The parity of a particle in a box with infinite potential affects its probability distribution and wave function within the box. Odd parity states have a probability of zero at the center of the box, while even parity states have a non-zero probability at the center.

4. How does the parity of a particle in a box with infinite potential relate to its allowed energy levels?

The parity of a particle in a box with infinite potential determines whether its energy levels are symmetric or anti-symmetric. Odd parity states have symmetric energy levels, while even parity states have anti-symmetric energy levels.

5. Can the parity of a particle in a box with infinite potential change?

No, the parity of a particle in a box with infinite potential remains constant throughout its evolution. It is a fundamental property of the system and cannot be altered by external forces or interactions.