Exploring the Reality of High Energy Physics: From Accelerators to Theories

In summary: After the grand theory of everything is achieved, scientists may still study theoretical structures but it is uncertain if they will have any use in physics anymore. Meanwhile, hope for a peaceful world.
eighth man
I have a few questions:

1) I read that particle physics uses accelarators and computers to compare results according to Feynman diagrams. According to the precision these diagrams may be 70 or 40000 and eventually millions to trillions all very complex to calcuate. At what point (decimal point will scientists think the precision will be enough ? (a trilllion feynman diagrams?) And if so will they be even able to calcuate it ? and even after won't they be curious to know if a higher precision could lead to something else ?

2) after the grand theory of everything is achieved maybe 300 years from now, will scientists still study all the theoretical structures anyways even if it has no use for physics anymore ?

3) particle accelarators, theories, computers etc. seem quite distant from reality... it makes me think sometime"is it real ?"
I mean there is only one level seperating a virtual reality program from reality (the program) whereas in particle physics we have about 5 or 6 (accelerators, theories, computers, calcuations etc)

TOBOR AN APE MAN

Physics news on Phys.org
eighth man said:
I have a few questions:

1) I read that particle physics uses accelarators and computers to compare results according to Feynman diagrams. According to the precision these diagrams may be 70 or 40000 and eventually millions to trillions all very complex to calcuate. At what point (decimal point will scientists think the precision will be enough ? (a trilllion feynman diagrams?) And if so will they be even able to calcuate it ? and even after won't they be curious to know if a higher precision could lead to something else ?

The experimentalists and the theorists are in a race. The theorists keep calculating more and more digits, the experimentalists keep measuring them :-).

Some of the quantities have been calculated and measured to a lot of decimal places, like the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron and muon. I think they're at somehere aroun 8 digits, maybe more by now.

http://ubpheno.physics.buffalo.edu/~dow/lectures/phy521/lecture5.pdf

2) after the grand theory of everything is achieved maybe 300 years from now, will scientists still study all the theoretical structures anyways even if it has no use for physics anymore ?

My crystal ball says "The answer is uncertain. Try again in 300 years".

:-)

Meanwhile, hope we manage to avoid a major war with modern weapons...

3) particle accelarators, theories, computers etc. seem quite distant from reality... it makes me think sometime"is it real ?"

Computers and particle accelerators are as real as anything else. If you're worried about the possibility of errors due to the complexity of the measurements, so are some scientists. The tactic that works best here is to reproduce the results in different laboratories. My impression is that with the number of different laboratories there is a reasonable amount of cross-checking going on, but I do seem to recall that some scientists (including Feynman) were a bit concerned that there was enough duplication of results.

TOBOR AN APE MAN[/QUOTE]

I thought it was "eight man", as per your handle.

eighth man said:
I mean there is only one level seperating a virtual reality program from reality (the program) whereas in particle physics we have about 5 or 6 (accelerators, theories, computers, calcuations etc)

TOBOR AN APE MAN

I can't let this slide by without commenting.l

1. Particle accelerators do NOT necessarily equal to "particle colliders". The first one simply accelerates particles up to the necessary energy. The second one is a detector/facility that study collisions between particles. They are not mutually inclusive!

2. Is it real? Well, if you or a family have the unfortunate situation of getting a radiation therapy, check out the SOURCE of that radiation. Chances are, you're getting highly collimated EM radiation from an accelerator right in your medical facility.

3. Accelerators are used in synchrotron radiation centers to generate the electron beam in the storage ring. Synchrotron radiation is used to study everything from the materials you are using, to the structure of proteins, drugs, and even viruses!

So next time, before you ask if something is "real", maybe you should check if you are already using results from it.

Zz.

1. What is high energy physics?

High energy physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental particles and interactions that make up our universe. It involves investigating the properties of matter and energy at extremely high energies, typically using particle accelerators.

2. How do we know that high energy physics is real?

High energy physics is supported by a vast amount of experimental evidence, including data from particle accelerators and observations of cosmic rays. The theories and models developed in this field have also successfully predicted the behavior of particles and interactions in experiments.

3. What are the practical applications of high energy physics?

While the primary goal of high energy physics is to understand the fundamental laws of nature, it has also led to many practical applications. For example, technologies like medical imaging, nuclear power, and particle therapy for cancer treatment have all been developed as a result of research in this field.

4. Are there any unsolved mysteries in high energy physics?

Yes, there are still many unanswered questions in high energy physics. Some of the biggest mysteries include the nature of dark matter, the origin of the matter-antimatter asymmetry in the universe, and the unification of the four fundamental forces.

5. How does high energy physics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

High energy physics plays a crucial role in helping us understand the fundamental laws and building blocks of the universe. By studying the smallest particles and interactions, we can gain insights into the structure and evolution of the universe, as well as its origins and fate.