Finding the damping ratio (zeta) of an nth order system from a transfer function

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding the damping ratio from a third order system when only the transfer function is given. The person is looking for a method that can be applied to any nth order system, and also notes that they cannot use differential equations to convert the transfer function to a function of time. A transfer function for a quadratic pole pair is provided as an example, and the concept of damping is discussed in relation to resonance. The question of whether only dominant poles can be used is also raised.
twillkickers
I am having trouble with some of my homework. I am not quite sure how to find the damping ratio from a third order system when the transfer function (of s) is the only information supplied. Could anyone help me with this? I would like a method that would work with any nth order system, although my current problem is third order.

Also, I must find the damping ratio WITHOUT using differential equations to convert the transfer function to a function of time.

Here is a transfer function that may be used as an example:

s/2 + 1
-------------------------
(s/40+1)[(s/4)^2+s/4+1]

Thanks to anyone who is willing to contribute!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
While this may not be the system damping that you are asking about, the canonical form for a quadratic pole pair (simple resonance) looks like this:

$$ H(s) = \frac{1}{(1 + (2 \xi_o) (\frac{s}{\omega_o}) + ( \frac{s}{\omega_o})^2)} $$

Different people define damping for complex systems in different ways, which usually confuses me. I prefer to only associate damping with a specific resonance. So a system might have more than one damping coefficient.

Are you allowed to use just dominant poles?

Likes DaveE

1. How is the damping ratio (zeta) defined in the context of a transfer function?

The damping ratio is a measure of the amount of damping in a system. It is defined as the ratio of the actual damping coefficient to the critical damping coefficient of the system.

2. What is the significance of finding the damping ratio in an nth order system?

The damping ratio provides important information about the behavior and stability of a system. It can help determine the response of the system to external inputs and ensure that the system behaves in a desired manner.

3. Can the damping ratio be directly calculated from the transfer function?

Yes, the damping ratio can be calculated directly from the transfer function using the formula zeta = c/(2*sqrt(m*k)), where c is the damping coefficient, m is the mass of the system, and k is the spring constant.

4. How does the value of the damping ratio affect the response of a system?

The value of the damping ratio determines the type of response a system will have. A higher damping ratio indicates a more heavily damped system, which results in a slower and smoother response, while a lower damping ratio indicates a less damped system, which results in a faster and more oscillatory response.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using the transfer function to find the damping ratio?

Yes, the transfer function assumes a linear and time-invariant system. It also assumes that the system is initially at rest and that there are no external inputs. Additionally, the transfer function may not be applicable for highly nonlinear systems.