Hamiltonian mechanics electromagnetic field

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the Euler-Lagrange equations in a system involving a 4-vector potential that constructs the electromagnetic field. The equations of motion come from variations in both position and time, and the Hamiltonian is determined through a Legendre transform. Both the Hamiltonian and Hamilton's equations of motion are gauge invariant.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

Let (V(x,t) , A(x,t)) be a 4-vector potential that constructs the electromagnetic field (in gaussian Units) by

E(x,t) = -∇V(x,t) - (1/c)δtA(x,t) , B = ∇xA , (x,t) elements of R3xRt

Consider the lagrangian

L=.5mv2 - eV(x,t) + (ev/c)(dot)A(x,t)

a) compute and interpret the Euler-lagrange equatinons of motion for this system
b) determine the hamiltonian
c) determine hamilton's equations of motion. Are they gauge invariant?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

3 simple questions about this, and hopefully not too stupid of questions

when i apply the euler-lagrange equations do i take the curl of A or the gradient? if gradient what does that mean to take the ∇A?

is there only one equation of motion because i fail to see the other possibility if there is one.

Otherwise i can solve the rest

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post and questions. I will do my best to provide you with the answers and explanations you are seeking.

Firstly, when applying the Euler-Lagrange equations in this context, you would take the gradient of V and the curl of A. This is because V is a scalar potential and A is a vector potential. Taking the gradient of a scalar potential gives you the electric field, while taking the curl of a vector potential gives you the magnetic field.

Secondly, there are actually two equations of motion in this system. The first one will come from the variation with respect to the position coordinates x, and the second one will come from the variation with respect to time t. This is because the system is described by a Lagrangian, which is a function of both position and time.

Lastly, to determine the Hamiltonian, you would need to use the Legendre transform, which involves taking the Lagrangian and substituting the velocities for their conjugate momenta. The Hamiltonian would then be a function of the position and momentum coordinates. As for Hamilton's equations of motion, they are indeed gauge invariant. This is because they are derived from the Hamiltonian, which is a gauge invariant quantity.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If you need any further clarification, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is Hamiltonian mechanics electromagnetic field?

Hamiltonian mechanics electromagnetic field is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of charged particles in electromagnetic fields. It combines principles from classical mechanics and electromagnetism to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of these particles.

2. How is Hamiltonian mechanics electromagnetic field different from other theories?

Unlike other theories, such as Newtonian mechanics or quantum mechanics, Hamiltonian mechanics electromagnetic field takes into account the effects of both electric and magnetic fields on charged particles. It also uses a different mathematical approach, known as Hamiltonian mechanics, which allows for a more elegant and concise description of the system.

3. What are the key components of Hamiltonian mechanics electromagnetic field?

The key components of Hamiltonian mechanics electromagnetic field are the Hamiltonian, which is a mathematical function that describes the total energy of the system, and the equations of motion, which are used to calculate the trajectory of a charged particle in an electromagnetic field. It also includes principles from classical mechanics, such as conservation of energy and momentum, and principles from electromagnetism, such as Maxwell's equations.

4. How is Hamiltonian mechanics electromagnetic field applied in real-world situations?

Hamiltonian mechanics electromagnetic field has numerous applications in physics and engineering, such as in the design of particle accelerators, the study of plasma physics, and the development of electronic devices. It can also be used to analyze the behavior of charged particles in natural phenomena, such as the Earth's magnetic field.

5. What are the limitations of Hamiltonian mechanics electromagnetic field?

While Hamiltonian mechanics electromagnetic field is a powerful and widely applicable theory, it does have some limitations. It is a classical theory and does not take into account quantum effects, which are important for describing the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It also assumes that the electromagnetic fields are continuous and does not consider the effects of quantum fluctuations. Additionally, it does not account for relativistic effects at high speeds.