Transformer - Calculating Output Voltage (AC Input Voltage)

In summary, when calculating the output voltage of a transformer with the given turns ratio, the resulting value is the RMS voltage. This is because AC voltage and current are typically measured in RMS values for energy purposes. If the transformer has a center-tap, the turns ratio given is for primary to one-half the secondary.
LovePhys

Homework Statement

For a transformer, the ratio number of turns on the transformer secondary : number of turns on the transformer primary = 21 : 1200. If the input voltage is 120V AC, what is the output voltage?

Homework Equations

[itex] \frac {N_{P}}{N_{S}}=\frac {V_{P}}{V_{S}} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation above to calculate the output voltage:
[itex] \frac {1200}{21}=\frac {120}{x} [/itex]. So the output voltage, which is x, is 2.1V
However, the answer of the book is 4.2V. I wonder if I have to double the value of the output voltage to get the final answer (the peak-to-peak output voltage). But I think the transformers always work with AC current and the formula above has already been constructed with AC current. Can anyone please correct me if I am wrong?

I appreciate any help given! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
. So the output voltage, which is x, is 2.1V
However, the answer of the book is 4.2V.
Your method is correct, so the book is wrong.

Unless stated otherwise, AC voltage and current is always taken to be the RMS value.

Thank you NascentOxygen. You cleared my doubt!

Can you please explain why we take RMS values when dealing with transformers? In my textbook, the sample problems (about transformers) just simply state the voltage values (e.g. A step-down transformer is designed to convert 240 V AC to 12 V AC).

Thank you very much again!

Hi LovePhys! :smile:
LovePhys said:
Can you please explain why we take RMS values when dealing with transformers?

I think it's because it makes average power easy to calculate …

Pav = VrmsIrms :wink:

(or Pav = VrmsIrmscosφ if V and I are out of phase by φ)

LovePhys said:
Thank you NascentOxygen. You cleared my doubt!

Can you please explain why we take RMS values when dealing with transformers?
I didn't mean to imply when dealing with transformers, I meant all the time. :smile:

RMS is the convention for alternating voltages and currents for energy purposes. Probably originated because, e.g., 10V RMS (of any waveshape) gives the same heating effect as 10VDC. It is easy to relate AC RMS with the equivalent in DC. You can run a 120V AC incandescent light bulb off 120VDC.

X volts DC has an RMS value of X VRMS.

Thank you very much indeed, NascentOxygen and tiny-tim! I learned a lot from you two!

LovePhys

LovePhys said:

Homework Statement

For a transformer, the ratio number of turns on the transformer secondary : number of turns on the transformer primary = 21 : 1200. If the input voltage is 120V AC, what is the output voltage?

Homework Equations

[itex] \frac {N_{P}}{N_{S}}=\frac {V_{P}}{V_{S}} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \frac {1200}{21}=\frac {120}{x} [/itex]. So the output voltage, which is x, is 2.1V
However, the answer of the book is 4.2V. I wonder if I have to double the value of the output voltage to get the final answer (the peak-to-peak output voltage). But I think the transformers always work with AC current and the formula above has already been constructed with AC current. Can anyone please correct me if I am wrong?

I appreciate any help given! Thank you!

Sounds like your transformer has a center-tap (CT). If in the primary, the 120V is applied from one end to the CT. If in the secondary, then the turns ratio you were given is that of primary to one-half the secondary.

Hello rude man,

In my textbook, they mentioned transformer and the formula I used in this problem. Actually, I also studied about center-tap full-wave rectifier, but the book just explains what happens when the secondary coil provides an input voltage to the circuit.

rude man said:
Sounds like your transformer has a center-tap (CT). If in the primary, the 120V is applied from one end to the CT. If in the secondary, then the turns ratio you were given is that of primary to one-half the secondary.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. But from my understanding, I think that the transformer in a center-tap rectifier basically will work in the same way as a normal transformer.

I am a high school student, so please forgive me if I'm wrong!
Thank you!

Sorry, I'm unable to edit my previous post.

I think I know what you're talking about, rude man. The center tap will split the secondary part in two equal halves (both the number of turns and the voltage). I agree that the problem didn't state clearly which kind of transformers is, but from sample problems in the book, I think this is just a normal transformer. Thank you, rude man. I learned a new thing!

1. How do you calculate the output voltage of a transformer?

The output voltage of a transformer can be calculated by using the formula: Vout = (Nout/Nin) x Vin, where Nout is the number of turns in the output coil, Nin is the number of turns in the input coil, and Vin is the AC input voltage.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC input voltage?

AC (alternating current) input voltage is a type of electrical current that constantly changes direction, while DC (direct current) input voltage is a type of electrical current that flows in only one direction. AC is typically used for power transmission, while DC is commonly used in electronic devices.

3. How does the number of turns in the input and output coils affect the output voltage?

The number of turns in the input and output coils of a transformer directly affects the output voltage. The ratio of turns between the input and output coils determines the output voltage, according to the formula Vout = (Nout/Nin) x Vin. A higher number of turns in the output coil will result in a higher output voltage, and vice versa.

4. Can a transformer increase or decrease the input voltage?

Yes, a transformer can both increase and decrease the input voltage depending on the ratio of turns between the input and output coils. If the output coil has more turns than the input coil, the output voltage will be higher than the input voltage. If the output coil has fewer turns than the input coil, the output voltage will be lower than the input voltage.

5. What are some factors that can affect the output voltage of a transformer?

Some factors that can affect the output voltage of a transformer include the number of turns in the input and output coils, the frequency of the AC input voltage, the type and quality of the transformer's core material, and any external loads or resistances connected to the output circuit.