What is the hardest thing for you to wrap your brain around

• Thread starter uperkurk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the conversation touches on various topics such as the size of the universe, the size of a quark, infinity, the Riemann Hypothesis, the platypus, women, diamonds, and memory. The participants share their difficulties in comprehending these concepts and express their amazement at the complexity of the human brain. They also discuss the mathematical concept of infinities and their comparison in calculus.
For me it's consciousness. I don't know where it comes from (well obviously our brains but why is it there? How did it get there?) and where it goes once we die. I mean it's hard to think that consciousness simply disappears when we die.

Physics news on Phys.org
Timewalker6 said:
For me it's consciousness. I don't know where it comes from (well obviously our brains but why is it there? How did it get there?) and where it goes once we die. I mean it's hard to think that consciousness simply disappears when we die.

Hmmm...perhaps it's not anything at all really?

I know it's an old thread, but it's a timeless question that I ask myself several times each Earth day, and I'm sure many other individuals on PF do too.

From my perspective, given the premise that nothing that 'exists' is discrete, in its most definitive sense, then consciousness (the unquantifiable entity which depicts whether the bearer is 'alive') must be continuously embedded throughout the continuum of space-time.

So when you die, you are intrinsically a shared portion of a continuous universe, and NOT a discrete packet of existence or to put it another way, a finite number of constituent parts.

Are DEAD and ALIVE two separate states, or are they just the most extreme states of an infinite range between 0 and Infiniti?

This issue arises every time I drink "cups" of coffee.

Obviously women. The universe is an open book compared to them.

Nah. I understand pretty much everything.