Linear Transformation: Does T(V) ⊆ W?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a linear transformation T:V##\rightarrow##W and the possibility of T(V) being a subset of W. The participants also touch upon the concept of range and codomain, clarifying that the range is always a subset of the codomain for any function. They also mention the difference between undefined and not being in the domain, and the fact that this is true for all mappings. The conversation ends with one participant mentioning their old mindset relating to collections and mappings.
DeadOriginal
Say I have a linear transformation T:V##\rightarrow##W. Can I necessarily say that T(V)##\subseteq##W?

I feel like T being a linear transformation would make the function behave enough to force things to not be undefined but I can't be certain..

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course. T(V) is the range which is always a subset of the codomain.

Hmm. I see. Thanks! I'm losing my mind.

Do you understand that this is true for any function ever? That is how functions are defined, the range is a subset of the codomain.

Yea. I messed up my reasoning with the range and the domain. I switched them around thinking that if something was undefined then it wouldn't be in the range. Like if x=0 and f(x)=1/x then 1/0 is not in the range but it is x=0 that is not in the domain.

verty said:
Do you understand that this is true for any function ever? That is how functions are defined, the range is a subset of the codomain.

Any mapping ever, really.

A David said:
Any mapping ever, really.

I still have the old mindset where every collection is a set and every mapping is a function. Probably this is from reading books not much more recent than the 60's.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the structure of the original vector space. This means that the properties of vectors, such as addition and scalar multiplication, are maintained under the transformation.

2. How do linear transformations affect vectors?

Linear transformations can change the orientation, magnitude, and direction of vectors. They can also stretch, rotate, and reflect vectors depending on the specific transformation being applied.

3. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a nonlinear transformation?

A linear transformation follows the principles of linearity, which means that the output is a linear combination of the input. Nonlinear transformations, on the other hand, do not follow these principles and can produce curved or distorted output.

4. What are some real-world applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to analyze data, model physical systems, and create visual effects in movies and video games.

5. How do you represent a linear transformation mathematically?

A linear transformation can be represented using a matrix, which is a rectangular array of numbers. The matrix contains the coefficients of the linear transformation and can be used to apply the transformation to vectors by multiplying them together.