Build a 3000psi Solenoid with 28swg Copper Wire

Then, in summary, the conversation is about building a solenoid to open a valve holding back 3000psi compressed air, using 28swg enameled copper wire, a PVC tube, and an iron piece. The person is seeking information on the best setup for maximum force, including the number of winds, length, and capacitor, and mentions having a lipo battery that will fit into the enclosure. They ask for any helpful information.
flashskate13
Hi,

First post, and this stuff is way above my head so i am hoping some one can help me.

So what I am after, i am after building a solenoid to to open a valve, this valve is holding back around 3000psi compressed air. its from a pressure washer gun.
and takes quiet abit of force to open it.

I have 28swg enameled copper wire but limited knowledge on how to make this.
The tube i have is pvc 10mm 1.2mm wall thickness and a piece of iron to fit inside.

What i have no idea about is the following, i want to achieve maximum force available so i wish to know my best set up i,e winds length capacitor i have a lipo battery to that will fit into the enclosure its a 11.1v 25c 1500mah.

Please any info would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
First read the wikipedia articles on solenoid and solenoid valve.

1. How do I determine the appropriate amount of 28swg copper wire to use for a 3000psi solenoid?

The amount of wire needed will depend on the specific design of the solenoid and the desired level of performance. It is important to consult a professional or use online resources to calculate the appropriate amount of wire for your specific project.

2. What is the purpose of using 28swg copper wire for a 3000psi solenoid?

Copper wire is commonly used in solenoids due to its high conductivity and flexibility, allowing for efficient and reliable electrical connections. The specific gauge, or thickness, of the wire is chosen based on the required current and voltage for the solenoid.

3. Can I use a different type of wire for a 3000psi solenoid?

While copper wire is the most commonly used material for solenoids, other conductive materials such as silver or gold may also be used. However, it is important to ensure that the wire can handle the required current and voltage for the solenoid.

4. What are the potential risks or challenges of building a 3000psi solenoid with 28swg copper wire?

One potential risk is that the wire may not be able to handle the high pressure and may break or malfunction. It is important to carefully calculate and test the wire to ensure it can withstand the pressure. Additionally, the wire may heat up and potentially cause damage or overheating if not properly designed and insulated.

5. Are there any specific safety precautions to consider when working with 28swg copper wire for a 3000psi solenoid?

Yes, it is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling the wire. It is also important to follow proper electrical safety protocols, such as turning off power sources and properly insulating wires, to prevent potential shocks or accidents. Additionally, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain the solenoid to ensure it is functioning safely and effectively.