Becoming an AP high school teacher

In summary, to become an AP high school teacher, you will need a bachelor's degree in the subject area you wish to teach and a teaching license or certification from your state. To gain experience teaching AP courses, you can volunteer or attend workshops and conferences offered by the College Board. There is a high demand for AP high school teachers, with a 10% increase in students taking AP courses in the past five years. To become certified to teach AP courses, you will need to complete the AP Course Audit process and may also need to complete training and professional development. Some benefits of becoming an AP high school teacher include working with motivated students, teaching challenging material, and potential for higher salary and career advancement.
coffeejunky
Hello everyone. I've been searching for some similar topics, although I didn't find one. In case a topic already exists, sorry about that.

I'm currently an undergrad studying CS, and I'd like to know whether becoming an AP teacher at a local high school requires additional coursework. For instance, do I need a credential to teach at the high school level, or is my B.Sc enough? Am I able to teach any AP course, for instance, even courses in physics and mathematics, or would I be limited to only CS?

Science news on Phys.org
coffeejunky said:
do I need a credential to teach at the high school level\

Yes. Check out your university's education department's website and look for information on "secondary education certification" or something like that. The rules and requirements vary from one state to another.

You'll probably need to take some additional education-related coursework, and do some student teaching. (You must have had some student teachers while you were still in school.)

Last edited:

Hello! Becoming an AP teacher at a local high school typically requires some additional coursework and certification. In most cases, you will need to obtain a teaching credential in order to teach at the high school level. This usually involves completing a teacher education program and passing a certification exam. However, the specific requirements may vary depending on your state or school district.

As for teaching AP courses, you may be limited to teaching within your area of expertise. For example, if you have a B.Sc in CS, you may only be able to teach AP CS courses. However, some schools may allow you to teach other AP courses if you have a strong background or experience in that subject. It's best to check with the specific school or district you're interested in teaching at for their requirements and restrictions.

Hope this helps!

1. What qualifications do I need to become an AP high school teacher?

In order to become an AP high school teacher, you typically need to have a bachelor's degree in the subject area you wish to teach. You also need to obtain a teaching license or certification from your state, which may require completing a teacher preparation program and passing exams.

2. How do I gain experience teaching AP courses?

To gain experience teaching AP courses, you can start by volunteering to teach AP courses at your current school or at a nearby school. You can also attend workshops and conferences offered by the College Board, which administers the AP program, to learn more about teaching AP courses and gain hands-on experience.

3. Is there a demand for AP high school teachers?

Yes, there is a high demand for AP high school teachers as more and more schools are offering AP courses to their students. According to the College Board, there has been a 10% increase in the number of students taking AP courses in the past five years.

4. How do I become certified to teach AP courses?

To become certified to teach AP courses, you will need to complete the AP Course Audit process, which involves submitting a course syllabus for approval and demonstrating your qualifications to teach the course. You may also need to complete training and professional development offered by the College Board.

5. What are the benefits of becoming an AP high school teacher?

Becoming an AP high school teacher can be a rewarding and challenging career path. Some benefits include the opportunity to work with motivated and high-achieving students, the ability to teach advanced and challenging material, and the potential for higher salary and career advancement opportunities.