Solving this differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of solving a differential equation for phi (t) using elementary functions and the use of Jacobi elliptic functions instead. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using numerical algorithms for more accurate solutions.
Moneer81
Hello,

while working on a simple mechanics problem using polar coordinates, I got this equation

second derivative of phi = (-g/R) sin phi

now I need to solve this to get an equation for phi (t) but the books says that I cannot solve this using elementary functions and that the solution will be the more complex Jacobi elliptic function. My question is why can't I integrate twice to get the equation for phi (t) ?

thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't just straight integrate that differential equation. I'm not even sure how one would attempt it. Here's one way to set up the elliptic integral:

Multiply through by [tex] \dot{\phi} [/tex] and get the differential equation
[tex]\ddot{\phi} \dot{\phi} = -g/R \dot{\phi} sin \phi [/tex]
which we recognize as being the first time derivative of
[tex]\dot{\phi}^2 = g/R cos \phi + C [/tex]
when then leads to the integral:
[tex]\int d\phi ~ 1/\sqrt{g/R cos \phi + C} = t - t_0[/tex]
which is then the elliptic integral left behind. This is why we make things like the small angle approximation, where applicable. If you're working with exact numbers, you could pretty simply write a numerical algorithm

MalleusScientiarum ,

why can't we straight integrate it with respect to time ?

ok never mind...stupid question. i know why :)

Yeah - because it's sine of phi, not sine of t.

In post #2, you missed a little "2" when going from [itex] \dot{\phi}\ddot{\phi} [/itex] to the square of the first derivative.

Daniel.

i guess theylor expansion is the best choice

I advise numerical analysis.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

Why is solving differential equations important?

Solving differential equations is important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to model and predict the behavior of systems that change over time.

What techniques are used to solve differential equations?

There are several techniques used to solve differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and the use of integrating factors. The appropriate technique depends on the type of differential equation and its initial conditions.

What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a first-order differential equation contains only first derivatives, while a second-order equation contains second derivatives.

Are there any real-life applications of solving differential equations?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of solving differential equations. These include predicting population growth, modeling the spread of diseases, and analyzing financial markets. Differential equations are also used in engineering to design and optimize systems.