Why Won't My Laptop Speakers or Headphones Work?

• Thread starter Smasherman
  • Start date
In summary: As for gaming, I think that's still limited on Macs. I don't think there's any limitation to developing games for Macs (I could be wrong), but I think it's more a supply and demand issue. Developers are just writing them for the more common PCs because that's where the larger market is. If more people used Macs than PCs, it would probably swing the market. I think if you're really into gaming, then PCs are still the way to go (but perhaps just not the cheapest Dell you can find). I think you'll find that most Mac users are not big into gaming, but choose them for other...more specialized reasons.
Smasherman
My speakers on my laptop died! My headphones won't work, either. I miss music already... (it's been about an hour).

I'm posting this here and not in hardware or software because I've taken the actions necessary to fix the problem; I just want to yell about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
let me guess, it's a dell.

yes, it is...

big surprise

At least it was cheap... Oh well, it's still under warranty, and has other things in need of fixing, as well.

It just tried to deafen me... I was wearing the headphones (hoping REAL hard), and it made one loud beep. I'm sooo going mac next.

nooooo! don't fall for mac's crap!

I'd go for a unix-based first, but Mac OS X is unix-based now, right? Now if I can just figure out how to utilize a 2-button mouse...

beware of the loud silence!

Smasherman said:
I'd go for a unix-based first, but Mac OS X is unix-based now, right? Now if I can just figure out how to utilize a 2-button mouse...
Yeah, it is. You mean procure a two-button mouse? If you've been using a dell you know how to use one right?

I've personally been using my mac for several years, its a G4 iMac, recently upgraded to Tiger and its a BLAST. I've only upgraded it once, nothing ever breaks down, speakers are high-quality, the OS is great. And Safari is my favorite browser. Unlike your last computer, everything is integrated. You'll love it. (Halo PC for Mac is also tons better).

And if you get a G5... the graphics capabilities stock are out of this world.

Well I'll stop myself there.

Mac has a two-button mouse, and its even better than a PC's two-button mouse. :rofl:

Smasherman said:
At least it was cheap... Oh well, it's still under warranty, and has other things in need of fixing, as well.
I'm getting very addicted to the music. I might have a coniption in your shoes. Still, I have the regular CD player, the walkman, and the old LP player.

Mk said:
Yeah, it is. You mean procure a two-button mouse? If you've been using a dell you know how to use one right?
I've personally been using my mac for several years, its a G4 iMac, recently upgraded to Tiger and its a BLAST. I've only upgraded it once, nothing ever breaks down, speakers are high-quality, the OS is great. And Safari is my favorite browser. Unlike your last computer, everything is integrated. You'll love it. (Halo PC for Mac is also tons better).
And if you get a G5... the graphics capabilities stock are out of this world.
Well I'll stop myself there.
Mac has a two-button mouse, and its even better than a PC's two-button mouse. :rofl:

Er...yes, I know how to use a 2-button mouse.

My mac-using friends failed to mention a 2-button mac mouse! Their knowledge of computers is limited to multimedia, so it's to be expected.

My biggest concern about macs is gaming. Any idea as to what the future of mac gaming will be?

Smasherman said:
Er...yes, I know how to use a 2-button mouse.
My mac-using friends failed to mention a 2-button mac mouse! Their knowledge of computers is limited to multimedia, so it's to be expected.
My biggest concern about macs is gaming. Any idea as to what the future of mac gaming will be?
You'll have no problems using multi-button mice on Macs. You can use any mouse actually, but if you want a Mac-branded one, they have the new Mighty Mouse that acts like a 4-button mouse and is designed to work with Tiger (the most recent OS 10.4...I'm not sure about it's functionality with older OSs), that has a trackball instead of a scroll wheel, so you can scroll in any direction, not just up and down. The only downside on that, which dduardo has pointed out in technology, is that the trackball part is not the best ergonomic design because your index finger doesn't like going side to side as much as up and down. I just ordered it because...well...I've just been dying to try it and see if it's really everything it's cracked up to be. I'll let you know.

As for gaming, I think that's still limited on Macs. I don't think there's any limitation to developing games for Macs (I could be wrong), but I think it's more a supply and demand issue. Developers are just writing them for the more common PCs because that's where the larger market is. If more people used Macs than PCs, it would probably swing the market. I think if you're really into gaming, then PCs are still the way to go (but perhaps just not the cheapest Dell you can find). I think you'll find that most Mac users are not big into gaming, but choose them for other reasons.

You lasted a whole hour? Respect...

I would not get a mac if you are a gamer. Only a few companies make their games on both mac and pc platforms. A lot of cool games like half life2/mods, like every mmorpg, and every other decent first person shooter is made for pc only. plus integrated parts in a mac suck :P

wierd...i have a dell laptop and its speakers died too...but the headphone port still works...and i have my laptop hooked up to my tower speakers anyway:approve:

but still...wierd.

other than that i love this laptop, 1.6Ghz...1gb ddr, widescreen...i can't complain.

1. What is "The Silence is creeping in"?

"The Silence is creeping in" is a phenomenon in which individuals experience a sense of emptiness and detachment from their surroundings. It is often described as a feeling of silence or stillness in the mind, regardless of external noise or activity.

2. What causes "The Silence is creeping in"?

The exact cause of "The Silence is creeping in" is not fully understood, but it is believed to be a result of various factors such as stress, anxiety, depression, or trauma. It can also be a natural response to a busy and overwhelming lifestyle.

3. Is "The Silence is creeping in" a mental disorder?

No, "The Silence is creeping in" is not considered a mental disorder. It is a temporary state of mind that can be experienced by anyone, and it does not necessarily indicate a serious underlying issue. However, if it persists and significantly affects daily functioning, it is important to seek professional help.

4. How can "The Silence is creeping in" be managed?

There is no one-size-fits-all approach to managing "The Silence is creeping in," as it can vary from person to person. Some helpful strategies may include mindfulness techniques, talking to a trusted friend or therapist, engaging in activities that bring joy, and taking care of physical health through exercise and a balanced diet.

5. Can "The Silence is creeping in" be prevented?

While it may not be possible to completely prevent "The Silence is creeping in," there are steps that can be taken to reduce its occurrence. These include practicing self-care and stress management techniques, setting healthy boundaries, and seeking support when needed. It is also essential to address any underlying issues that may contribute to the experience of "The Silence is creeping in."