Complex Scalar Field in Terms of Two Independent Real Fields

In summary, the conversation is discussing the commutator relations of a complex scalar field written in terms of two independent real scalar fields. The speaker is trying to show that certain terms, such as [\phi_1(\vec{x},t),\dot{\phi}_2(\vec{x}',t)], should vanish and is asking for clarification on how to do so. The other person suggests taking this as a quantization condition and confirms that the equation provided is correct. They also mention the Poisson bracket and suggest using Dirac's rule for canonical quantization.
ghotra
I am working with a complex scalar field written in terms of two independent real scalar fields and trying to derive the commutator relations.

So,

[tex] \phi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left(\phi_1 + i \phi_2) [/tex]

where [itex]\phi_1[/itex] and [itex]\phi_2[/itex] are real.

When deriving,

[tex] [\phi(\vec{x},t),\dot{\phi}(\vec{x}',t)] = 0 [/tex]

I get terms like the following:

[tex][\phi_1(\vec{x},t),\dot{\phi}_2(\vec{x}',t)][/tex]

which I need to vanish. It makes sense to me that they should vanish, but how do I show this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...I think that we just take that as the quantization condition. That is,

[tex]
[\phi_r(\vec{x},t),\pi_s(\vec{x}{\,}',t}] = i \delta^3(\vec{x}-\vec{x}{\,}')\delta_{rs}
[/tex]

Is this correct?

ghotra said:
Hmm...I think that we just take that as the quantization condition. That is,

[tex]
[\phi_r(\vec{x},t),\pi_s(\vec{x}{\,}',t}] = i \delta^3(\vec{x}-\vec{x}{\,}')\delta_{rs}
[/tex]

Is this correct?

Since [itex]\phi_1[/itex] and [itex]\phi_2[/itex] are independent, they'll only be canonically conjugate with their own momenta (the [itex]\delta_{rs}[/itex] on the left). Your equation just states that in combination with the usual commutation relation of the real scalar field.

[tex]\phi_1[/tex] and [tex]\phi_2[/tex]
are independent fields, so
[tex][\phi_1, \dot{\phi}_2][/tex]=0

What is the Poisson bracket between the classical fields ? If you know that, you can canonically quantize using Dirac's rule.

Daniel.

What is a complex scalar field?

A complex scalar field is a mathematical construct used in physics to describe a field that has both a real and imaginary component. It is represented by a complex number, which is a combination of a real number and an imaginary number.

What are the two independent real fields that make up a complex scalar field?

The two independent real fields that make up a complex scalar field are the real part and imaginary part. These two fields are perpendicular to each other and together make up the complex number.

How is a complex scalar field different from a scalar field?

A complex scalar field differs from a scalar field in that it has two independent components, whereas a scalar field only has one. A scalar field is represented by a real number, while a complex scalar field is represented by a complex number.

What is the importance of using complex scalar fields in physics?

Complex scalar fields are important in physics because they can accurately describe physical phenomena that involve both real and imaginary quantities. They are used in a variety of fields such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid mechanics.

How are complex scalar fields visualized or represented?

Complex scalar fields are often represented graphically as a two-dimensional plane, with the real part plotted on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part plotted on the vertical axis. The resulting graph is known as an Argand diagram.