Condensed matter pop science book

In summary: A book that might be of interest is _A Matter of Degrees: What Temperature Reveals about the Past and Future of Our Species, Planet, and Universe_ by Gino Segre, a professor of physics and astronomy at the University of Pennsylvania.In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for books on condensed matter, both technical and non-technical. Suggestions include "The Nature of Solids," "The Solid State" by Rosenberg, "The New Science of Strong Materials" by Gordon and Ball, and "Why things are the way they are" by Bellur Sivaramiah Chandrasekhar. It is also mentioned that the Nobel Laureate astrophysicist Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar is often confused with another
m00npirate
I've read a couple (nontehnical) books on cosmology and particle physics, but there seems to be a dearth of these on condensed matter. Anyone know of one out there? Or perhaps a semi-technical book that I could understand most of with 1 year of calc. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Try "Why things are the way they are", by Chandrasekar (hope I've spelled his name right :) ) - yep, the astrophysics guy.

--------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
For a semi-technical book, I recommend The Solid State by Rosenberg. In response to the previous reply, the correct spelling is "Chandrasekhar", and I'm pretty sure it's not the astrophysicist ("Chandrasekhar" is a relatively common Indian last name). Finally, for a non-technical book, The New Science of Strong Materials by Gordon and Ball looks pretty good and is readily available.

I stand corrected :).

--------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions =]

las3rjock said:
For a semi-technical book, I recommend The Solid State by Rosenberg. In response to the previous reply, the correct spelling is "Chandrasekhar", and I'm pretty sure it's not the astrophysicist ("Chandrasekhar" is a relatively common Indian last name). Finally, for a non-technical book, The New Science of Strong Materials by Gordon and Ball looks pretty good and is readily available.

Which one of these did you mean? https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_...lid+State+rosenberg&x=0&y=0&tag=pfamazon01-20

Correction

ozymandias said:
Try "Why things are the way they are", by Chandrasekar (hope I've spelled his name right :) ) - yep, the astrophysics guy.

The author of the book you cited is Bellur Sivaramiah Chandrasekhar (b. 1928); the Nobel Laureate astrophysicist was Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar (1910-1995).

1. What is condensed matter?

Condensed matter refers to the study of the physical properties of materials in solid or liquid form, including their structure, behavior, and interactions at the atomic and molecular level.

2. How is condensed matter relevant to everyday life?

Condensed matter is relevant to everyday life in many ways, as it encompasses the study of materials such as metals, plastics, and ceramics that are used in a variety of industries and technologies. Understanding the properties of these materials can lead to advancements in fields such as electronics, energy production, and medicine.

3. What is the difference between solid and liquid condensed matter?

The main difference between solid and liquid condensed matter is the arrangement of particles. In a solid, the particles are tightly packed and have a fixed position, whereas in a liquid, the particles are more loosely arranged and can move around. This results in different physical properties, such as rigidity and flow.

4. What are some current research topics in condensed matter physics?

Some current research topics in condensed matter physics include the study of quantum materials, topological insulators, and superconductivity. Other areas of interest include nanoscience, soft matter, and complex systems.

5. Is condensed matter physics a difficult subject to understand?

Condensed matter physics can be a complex subject, as it involves a deep understanding of quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. However, there are many popular science books available that explain the concepts in an accessible way, making it easier for non-experts to understand.